The Academy for Assessment of Student Learning offers the Higher Learning Commission’s (HLC) member institutions a four-year sequence of events and interactions that are targeted at accelerating and advancing efforts to assess and improve student learning and at building institution-wide commitment to assessment of student learning. At Highlands, we are implementing a strategy that builds on our online assessment of the university’s core curriculum outcomes. Using outcomes as a starting point, faculty are identifying overarching traits that students should possess as a result of what they learn in departmental programs, developmental courses, and core curriculum courses.
Four Traits Identified:
1. Mastery of content knowledge and skills
2. Effective communication skills
3. Critical and reflective thinking skills
4. Effective use of technology
- For the NCA visit, these traits now need to be linked to existing courses, syllabi, or outcomes in Highlands programs.