Task: As stated in the HLC action letter, Highlands must provide evidence that the institution has ameliorated the findings of non-compliance identified in this action that resulted in the imposition of Probation, Core Component 5.C:
- completed integrated planning process;
- accomplishments attained for the Strategic Plan-HU Vision 2020, as endorsed by all governance groups and approved by the Board of Regents; and
- sustained processes for strategic plan implementation, implementation of established budget procedures, and sustained accountability reporting.
More information was provided in the HLC action letter:
The University is out of compliance with Criterion Five, Core Component 5.C, “the institution engages in systematic and integrated planning,” for the following reasons:
- The University is not engaging in a regular and effective process of planning as required by this Core Component because:
- the 2009 Comprehensive Evaluation Report identified strategic planning as an area of concern; since that time, the University has not demonstrated a sustained implementation and evaluation of accomplishments of its strategic planning activities, as evidenced by its discontinuation of 2009-2014 Strategic Plan implementation; and
- the University’s strategic planning implementation stopped after receiving HLC feedback to a Monitoring Report in 2012 and has only recently been resumed; and
- While the University in its August 2016 response described efforts to initiate a strategic plan, that effort is very recent and has not yet demonstrated evidence of a robust planning process and a completed strategic plan.
Resolution: Highlands needs to accomplish things to resolve Probation Area:
- Formally approve the HU Vision Strategic Plan through all governance groups, including Board of Regents.
- Design an integrated planning process.
- Implement the strategic planning process.
- Sustain the strategic planning process, budget process, and accountability reporting.
- Demonstrate accomplishments attained via the strategic planning process.
|✓||Launch of HU 2020 Process||January 28, 2015||VPAA-Provost||Strategic Planning Timeline|
|✓||Community and Campus Forums on Vision, Mission, and Priorities||January 2015-April 2015||
|Strategic Planning Timeline|
|✓||Input and Approval from Highlands Governance Bodies on Proposed Mission, Vision, and Priorities (Staff Senate, Faculty Senate, General Faculty, Student Senate)||April 2015-December 2015||Staff Senate, Faculty Senate, General Faculty, Student Senate||Strategic Planning Timeline, General Faculty Minutes, Staff Senate Minutes, Student Senate Minutes, Survey of Students, Faculty, and Staff|
|✓||Approval from Board of Regents||February 26, 2016||Board of Regents||Board of Regents Minutes|
|✓||Launch of the 2016-2017 Unit Strategic Planning Process||August 30, 2016||VPAA-Provost||Global Unit Strategic Plan E-mail|
|✓||Draft Unit Strategic Plans Due to Supervisor||September 23, 2016||Unit directors||Strategic Plan Archive|
|✓||Feedback on Unit Strategic Plans from Supervisor||October 7, 2016||Unit supervisors||Strategic Plan Archive|
|✓||Final Unit Strategic Plans Due||October 21, 2016||Unit directors||Strategic Plan Archive|
|✓||Unit Strategic Plans Loaded to Website||November 4, 2016||Provost-VPAA||Strategic Plan Archive|
|✓||Unit Strategic Plans utilized in Budget Prioritization Process||November 22, 2016||President, VPFA, Provost-VPAA||Budget Prioritization|
|✓||Unit Strategic Plans Implemented||Fall 2016-Fall 2017||Units||Provost’s Strategic Plan report|
|✓||Regular Update on Strategic Plan Accomplishments to Board of Regents||Every BOR Meeting||Vice-Presidents, Dean of Students, Unit Directors||Board of Regents minutes; 2016-2017 Mission Accomplishments; Mission Accomplished web page|
|✓||Assignment of VP to each Strategic Area to draft Mission Accomplishments and Executive Strategic Plan||Spring 2017||President, Vice-Presidents, Dean of Students, Director of University Relations||2016-2017 Mission Accomplishments; Executive Strategic Plan|
|✓||Finalization of Executive Strategic Plan||Fall 2017||President, Vice-Presidents, Dean of Students, Director of University Relations||Executive Strategic Plan|
|Revision of Strategic Plans for 2017-2018||Fall 2017||Unit Directors||Updated strategic plan archive|
|Use of Strategic Plans in Budget Requests for Fiscal Year 19||Fall 2017||Unit Directors||Updated strategic plan archive|
|Unit Strategic Plans utilized in Budget Prioritization Process||Winter 2017||Executive Management Team||FY19 Budget Prioritization|