image of wilson complex basketball courtbackground image of pine treependant background imageheader image of librarypurple background imageimage of stair wellimage of student union builingimage of gutterImage of ceilingImage of ceiling of the wilson complex buildingimage of wall in Tech buildingimage of swimming poolimage of ceilingimage of window at Studnet union buildingWall imageImage of window at science buildingImage of window at science buildingImage of stairs in science buildingImage of interior of science buildingImage of science buildingImage of science buildingImage of library buildingImage of buildingbackground image of ceiling

Application Process for On-Campus Jobs


  1. View the jobs of interest to you from the On-Campus Job Listings and follow the application instructions provided on each job announcement. This job listing is updated daily.
  2. Students applying for work-study or departmental jobs must complete the Student Employment Application.  Graduate students applying for a Graduate Assistantship (GA) position must complete the GA Application.  Download and save your application on your computer or USB drive so that you can send or email it later on for each job you apply.
  3. Follow the “To apply” instructions on each job announcement. Please note that instructions may vary. Hand deliver or email your application and all requested documents (cover letter, résumé, work schedule form, etc.) as directed on the job announcement. For assistance with cover letters and résumés, contact the Career Services Center, 505.454.3048.
  • TIP: Follow-up is key: After submitting your application materials, follow-up with the department to make sure your information was received and to express your interest in working in the department. If you are selected for an interview, consider emailing a thank you note to the supervisor after the interview—this may improve your chances of being hired.
  1. Once you are selected for hire by a campus department, the supervisor will submit a Student Employment Request Form to the Financial Aid Office, then will forward it to the Human Resources (HR) Office. International students only: Have your supervisor also send the Request Form to the Director of International Education,  phone 505.454.3058 for approval.
  2. Before starting a job, new student employees must report to the Human Resources Office and attend a 30-minute orientation session to complete required paperwork such as an I-9 Work Eligibility Authorization Form (link) and W-4 Employee Withholding Certificate (link). For this orientation, students will need to bring in two original forms of identification, such as a driver’s license, social security card, birth certificate, or passport. Please call Human Resources at (505) 454-3308 for orientation dates.
  3. Upon your completion of orientation, Human Resources will email the work supervisor approval of your hire. Your supervisor will then call you with a start date.


Federal and State Work-Study

These jobs are for students who qualify based on their results from completing the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) every year and reported to Highlands University.

Departmental Hire

These jobs are for students who do not qualify for federal/state work-study.

Graduate Assistantships (GA)

A GA is an assignment of employment offered to a graduate student to assist a professor and the academic unit in the delivery of classroom and laboratory instruction and/or research.


  1. You must be classified as a “regular degree-seeking” student at NMHU.
  2. Undergraduates must be enrolled in at least 6 credits throughout the semester and graduate students must be enrolled in at least 3 credits throughout the semester. During the summer session, students must be enrolled in 3 credits, and registered for at least 6 credits for the following fall semester. Audited classes are not included.
  3. Work-study eligible students only: Must have completed your Free Application for Financial Student Assistance (FAFSA) and have the results sent to NMHU (school code 002653). Priority is given to students who complete their FAFSA by March 1 and have a complete financial aid file by April 15. Work-study is awarded on a first-come first-serve basis. For more information, click here Federal or State Work-study.
  4. Must have at least a GPA of 2.0, unless you are a first semester student at NMHU.
  5. International students with an F-1 visa and enrolled for at least 12 credits in the Fall and Spring semesters; 6 credits in the summer.
  6. Must be able to provide Human Resources with 2 original forms of identification such as a driver’s license, government-issued ID, passport, social security card, and birth certificate.



Career Services Center, Felix Martinez Bldg., Room 230, 505.454.3048, email:

  • Job postings, application assistance, résumé writing, interviewing skills, job search strategies, workplace etiquette

Financial Aid Office, Felix Martinez Bldg., Room 240, 505.454.3318, email:

  • FAFSA application, Federal and State Work-Study eligibility and awards

Human Resources Office, Rodgers Administration Bldg., second floor, 505.454.3308, email:

  • Work authorization and tax documents, timesheet, payroll, safety issues, work injuries

International Education Office, Student Union Bldg., Rm. 311, 505.454.3372, email:

  • Work authorization for international students.

Graduate Admissions, Sininger Hall, Rm. SH-219, 505.454.3266, email:

  • Graduate assistantship and graduate school admissions.