Gateways for Initial Licensure Programs
Initial programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree and making candidates eligible for a New Mexico teaching license include early childhood education, elementary education, special education, and secondary education, a program minor which must be combined with a content-area major.
The following describe three gateways that assess and guide students through the School of Education and teacher licensure. This process will initiate an in-school file for students as they matriculate in the School of Education.
Gateway Alpha (Program Entry into the School of Education)
Students who wish to enter the School of Education must complete the following:
- Complete the university core curriculum to include:
- 9 hours in communication
- 8 hours in science
- 9 hours in humanities and fine arts
- 9 hours in social/behavioral science
- 6 -9 hours in mathematics (6 for secondary and special education, 9 for elementary education)
- 2 hours PE
- 8 hours modern language
- 3 hours computer science
- National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills (Subtests, I, II, III) passing score;
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75 (based on a minimum of 24 credit hours);
- A C-grade or better in:
- GNED 201 (Introduction to Teaching)
- GNED 251 (Field Base I)
- SPED 214 (Introduction to Special Education) or ECME 300;
- A score of at least 3 out of 4 on a designated writing assignment in GNED 201 or ECME 300;
- A C-grade or better in English 112 (Composition)
Once all the above are completed, students must complete an application to the School of Education.
Gateway Beta (Admission to Clinical Practice: Student Teaching)
Students who wish to begin student teaching (Field Base III) must complete the following:
- National Evaluation Series (NES) Elementary Content Knowledge, Special Education Content Knowledge, Secondary Major Content Knowledge passing score
- National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Components of Reading- Elementary Education majors only;
- Content GPA of at least 3.0;
- All major course requirements;
- Criminal records background check and finger prints;
- Submit verification of liability insurance;
Once all the above are completed, students must complete an application to student teaching.
Gateway Gamma (Program Completion)
Students who wish to complete the program must complete the following:
- Successful development of a student teaching portfolio during Field III Student Teaching experience;
- Field Base III university supervisor rating of at least three of four points possible by the final classroom observation;
- Field Base III rating by cooperating teacher of at least three of four points possible by the final classroom observation; and
- Field Base III dispositions rating of at least three of four points possible.