Admission Requirements MSW
Applicants for the MSW degree must meet the following admission requirements:
- Must have completed a Bachelor degree from a regionally accredited institution. Bachelor degrees awarded from technical colleges are not accepted. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required.
- Must have a minimum of a 2.7 GPA on a 3.0 scale in the major courses. Provisional admission will be granted to applicants falling below a 3.0.
- Submission of three professional references. References from coworkers, family members, and personal friends will not be considered.
- Submission of graduate application, narrative statement, résumé (including volunteer, employment and field practicum/internship experience), references, and official transcript (with undergraduate degree posted) by the deadline date, January 15, 2015. Official transcripts from NMHU graduates are not required for Clinical, Bilingual, and Leadership & Administration majors. Applicants for the Dual Degree MSW/MBA must submit official transcripts from every institution attended after high school.Application fee of $35. (money order) for current NMHU students, and $50. for non-NMHU graduates payable to NMHU School of Social Work, Box 9000, Las Vegas, New Mexico 87701 (indicate “MSW application fee” on your subject line). Note: fee is waived for veterans and active duty armed forces. Are you a veteran or active duty? *Do not send cash or personal checks.
2015-16 MSW Application form
2015-16 MSW Reference form Please submit your application as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application forms may also be mailed to: NMHU School of Social Work, Attn. Lawrence Montano, Box 9000, Las Vegas, NM 87701. *All applications (including attached documents) must be sent to the main campus and not to center sites.
Applications (including attached documents) must be sent to the main campus and not to center sites.
Applicants for Advanced Standing:
In addition to meeting the above requirements, applicants for advanced standing must meet the following criteria:
- Must have completed a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited School of Social Work awarded within five years from the date of admission into the MSW program. Students taking summer classes for degree completion in their social work major may apply for Advanced Standing if the Bachelor of Social Work degree is awarded in the summer semester prior to enrolling in the Master of Social Work program. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required.
- The Advanced Standing/Honors program requires students to attend on a full-time basis.
- Must have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale in their Bachelor of Social Work courses.
- Submission of three professional references as follows: one reference from field practicum supervisor, one reference from a current or former social work professor, and one reference from a current or former employment/volunteer supervisor (preferably in human services field). (If the applicant will not complete field practicum until after submission of application, a reference from an employment or volunteer supervisor in the human services field who has observed the applicant’s work with clients must be submitted). References from relatives, coworkers, subordinates, and personal friends will not be accepted. Official transcripts from NMHU graduates are not required unless applying for the Dual Degree MSW/MBA.
- Submission of graduate application, narrative statement, client assessment, résumé (including volunteer, employment and field practicum/internship experience), references, and transcript by the deadline date, January 15, 2015.
2015-16 Advanced Standing Application form
2015-16 Advanced standing Reference form Mail application forms to: NMHU School of Social Work, Attn. Lawrence Montano, Box 9000, Las Vegas, NM 87701. *All applications (including attached documents) must be sent to the main campus and not to center sites.
Note: Applicants who have been convicted of a felony or have charges pending are required to disclose and explain the circumstances of the convictions/charges. In addition, applicants MUST complete an Authorization for Release of Information form prior to the school’s review of the application. The Authorization for Release of Information form will be sent to you upon request only. Contact Lawrence M. Montaño, administrative assistant, at 505.454.3310, or email email@example.com.
The School of Social Work seeks candidates into its graduate programs that demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to a career in social work. A candidate must also possess the interpersonal qualities to work with multicultural and diverse populations regardless of differences in social class, economic status, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disabilities, ethnicity and culture.
All applications are reviewed on a competitive basis based on GPA, human services work/ volunteer experience, references, the quality of the responses to the questions in the Career Objective Narrative Statement, professional paper (Advanced Standing applicants only), and overall essential attributes to the program. Once all of the application is complete and rated, a recommendation for admission or denial is made to the school dean. Applicants will be notified in writing of the final decision.