Leveo V. Sanchez, Member
Leveo Sanchez is a dynamic leader with decades of domestic and international business success and distinguished public service. He is a New Mexico native and returned to the state in 2006. In May, 2008, Gov. Bill Richardson appointed Sanchez to the Highlands Board of Regents.
From 1966 through 2005, Sanchez established several successful businesses in governmental and management consulting, banking, real estate development and investment, property management, and export trading.
In 1969, he founded and chaired Development Associates, an international consulting firm specializing in social and economic development. Under Sanchez’ leadership, Development Associates became one of the largest minority-owned and operated consulting firms in the country with offices in eight U.S. cities and work in more than 100 countries. In 1974, Sanchez was a founding partner and initial chairman of Hemisphere National Bank in Washington, D.C. and served as president until the bank was sold in 1981.
Sanchez’ public sector service experience has spanned continents and shows his commitment to people from diverse cultures. Some highlights include: Deputy Director, Peace Corp, Latin American Region; Director, U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity, MidAtlantic Region; and Director, U.S. Office of Institutional Development, Latin American Bureau of Agency for International Development (AID).
Over the years, Sanchez has shared his expertise tirelessly as a board member with numerous organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, New Mexico Highlands University
- Master’s degree in foreign affairs, major in Latin American studies, George Washington University School of Government, Washington, D.C.
- Graduate, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers Officers’ Candidate School, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
National & Local Organization Leadership Highlights:
- President, Pan American Development Foundation
- Board Member, Greater Washington Business Center
- Board Member, Smithsonian Institute
- Board Member, U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Board Chairman, Latino Economic Development Corporation
- Director, National Hispanic Cultural Center Foundation
- President, New Mexico Highlands University Foundation
- Director, Las Vegas San Miguel Economic Development Corporation