Regent Long is president and shareholder of Long, Pound & Komer, P.A., a Santa Fe based law firm, founded in 1987. Her practice is primarily in the areas of land use, transactional work, real estate and commercial representation. She has attained an AV rating, the highest attainable for the rating of lawyers in the United States by Martindale Hubbell. Long has represented large development projects in the City of Santa Fe as well as representing the County of Santa Fe in its real estate and land use cases. She is counsel to the College of Santa Fe and represents the board of the joint Santa Fe City and County water diversion project.
Long and her firm represented New Mexico Highlands University for many years. In that capacity, she represented the university in a case that established the regents’ authority in a judicial decision.
After law school, Long returned to Santa Fe, where she was raised, to practice with the firm of Jones, Snead, Wertheim, Rodriguez & Wentworth, where she attained partnership before joining her current firm.
Long has served on the City of Santa Fe’s planning commission and has served as chair of the joint City and County Planning Authority for more than 10 years.
Long and her husband, Judge Timothy Garcia, have two children, Amy and Ted.
Long attended Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and graduated with a B.A. in history from the University of Santa Clara. She obtained her law degree from the University of New Mexico.
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES:
- American Inns of Court (2000-2003)
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (past member)
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association (past member)
- First Judicial District Bar Association (past member)
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association ( past associate member)
- Member, Editorial Board, Natural Resources Journal (1982-1983)
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award for Environmental Law
- New Mexico State Bar Service Award
- New Mexico State Bar Association (Board Member, Trial Practice Section, (1987-1991)
- New Mexico State Bar Association Liaison for Young Lawyers Division (1985-1987)
- State Bar of New Mexico Quality of Life Legal Employer Award (2007)
- Extraterritorial Zoning Commission for the City and County of Santa Fe, Chair (1992-present)
- City of Santa Fe Ethics Campaign Review Board (2005-present)
- City of Santa Fe Campaign Reform Commission (2003-2004)
- Century Bank, Board of Directors
- Santa Fe Community Foundation, Board Member
- Neighborhood Law Center, Founding Board Member
- Teen Court of Santa Fe County, Volunteer Judge
- Executive Committee, St. Michael’s High School Parents’ Club, Past Member
- City of Santa Fe Planning Commission, Past Chair
- City of Santa Fe Urban Policy Committee, Past Chair
- City of Santa Fe Development Review Committee, Past Member
- St. Vincent Hospital Board of Trustees, Past Member
- Santa Fe Pro Musica, Past Board Chair
Long was appointed to the Board of Regents by Gov. Bill Richardson in January 2008.