Jan Shepherd, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Office: HSCI 237
Education and Relevant Professional Experience
- 1974-1975 -Postdoctoral North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC
- 1969-1973 -Ph.D. Degree in Organic Chemistry, Duke University, Durham NC (Tennessee Eastman Research Fellow 1972-1973)
- 1965-1969 -B.A. Degree in Chemistry, Pfeiffer College, Misenheimer NC (cum Laude)
- 1975-2007 – Retired from Millersville University of the State System of Higher Education in Pennsylvania after thirty-two years a as member of the Chemistry Department faculty and awarded emeritus status.
- 2011-2017 -Part-time member of the Chemistry Department of New Mexico Highlands University
Courses Taught at NMHU
Organic Chemistry 1 with Laboratory
Organic Chemistry 2 with Laboratory
General Chemistry 1 with Laboratory
General Chemistry 2 with Laboratory
Chemistry for Non-Majors with Laboratory
Research Interests in Chemistry
Current interests include intramolecular reactions and interaction in norbornane ring systems with application to mechanisms of concerted and stepwise electrophilic additions to conjugated and homoconjugated polyenes.
- “Free Radical Bromination of Organic Compounds”, Experiments in General Chemistry, 5th Ed. by G. Weiss, R. Wismer and T. Greco, Macmillan, N.Y. 2001
- “An Alkali Induced 1,4-Hydride Shift in endo -Tricyclo[188.8.131.52]decyl Ketols”, Tetrahedron Letters#32, 2743 (1974), with P. Wilder, Jr. and D. Singh
- “Oxymercuration-Demercuration and Hydroboration Oxidation of endo Dicyclo-pentadiene”, J. Org. Chem. 39, 1636 (1974), with P. Wilder, Jr. and A. Portis, Jr.
- “Aliphatic Nitrogen Compounds” chapter in MTP International Review of Science, Organic Chemistry Series One, Vol. 2; N. B. Chapman, Editor; University Park Press, Baltimore 1973 with P. Wilder, Jr.
- “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance of Some 2-Thiatetrahydro-endo-dicyclopentadienes”, Int. J. Sulfur Chem., A, Vol. 1, #3 169 (1991) with P. Wilder, Jr. and L. Felieu-Otero
- “Critical thinking and Self-Concept in Four Nursing Educational Programs” Nurse Educator with K. Brooks, July/August, 8-9, 1991.
- “Relationship Between Critical Thinking and Decision-Making for Senior Nursing Students in Types of Nursing Curricula”, J. Nursing Education, 9(29), 391-399, 1990 with K. Brooks
- “The Issue of Aging Faculty in Higher Education”, J. Professional Nursing, with K. Brooks, 5:2 (March/April) 77-82, 1989.