In the fall of 2014 New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) received a federal Title V, Part B grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The major purpose of the CONECTADO academic scholarship award is to expand post baccalaureate education opportunities for Hispanic Graduate Students across New Mexico in high employment need areas through online education programs in one of the following three areas:
- Master of Curriculum and Instruction. This is a 36-credit hour degree that prepares students for leadership positions in Early Childhood Multicultural Education and Child Development related fields in state and federal government, or nonprofit institutions. Building on a foundation of advocacy, policy development, child study/assessment, teaching, early intervention services, program design/management, and research, the program emphasizes exceptional teaching and administrative skills. During the final semester of coursework, students may take the option of a Comprehensive Examination. The other two options for demonstrating mastery are a field project, or writing a thesis.
- Master of Arts in Counseling – Rehabilitation Concentration prepares quality counselors through excellence in education, scholarship and service. This 48 hour program consists of 36 core counseling and research hours. The concentration in Rehabilitation Counseling is accomplished with an additional 12 hours in rehabilitation coursework to complete the 48 hour requirement. The Rehabilitation Counseling Program (RC) at NMHU was accredited in 2012 by the Council in Rehabilitation Education (CORE) and will be accredited by the Counsel for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP), July, 2017.
- Master of Arts in Education with a Concentration in Special Education (36 hours) is a program structured around three components: Special Education area (12 credit hours), emphasis area (12 credit hours), and Capstone Project (1-6 credit hours) requirement. The Capstone Project choices are a field project, thesis or comprehensive examination.
CONECTADO Scholarship Application: click here(PDF)
CONECTADO Virtual Center: Click here
Eligibility Requirements for CONECTADO Scholarship:
- Must be a United States citizen;
- Must be a resident of New Mexico;
- Must be of Hispanic Heritage;
- Must not be in default on a debt to the federal government under a no procurement transaction’
- Must not be declared by a judge (under the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988) ineligible to receive federal assistance;
Scholarships are awarded for an academic year. CONECTADO Scholarships are considered financial aid and must be identified on the student’s financial aid profile.
The following requirements must also be met by the prospective scholar:
- Be accepted in one of the qualified programs:
- Curriculum and Instruction (C&I);
- Rehabilitation counseling (RC);
- Special Education (SE)
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Be a half-time graduate student status (at least 6 online credit hours each semester).
The CONECTADO Scholarship will be withdrawn if the CONECTADO Scholar does not adhere to the requirements listed above or if the Scholar withdraws from a semester of study or does not continue for a semester or longer.
Students with a Disability
Individuals with severe disabilities or other complications that arise during the award period will be considered for extended support contingent upon availability of funds and individual circumstances. The recipient must submit a request for extended scholarship support to the CONECTADO Activity Project Director for consideration of unique circumstances that require an extension of the anticipated program duration. A committee comprised of Counseling, Curriculum and Instruction, and Special Education faculty members and CONECTADO staff will consider the request.
CONECTADO Scholarship is Subject to Change
Scholarships are funded by upon receipt of an annual award to New Mexico Highlands University from the U.S. Department of Education. New Mexico Highlands is not responsible for providing scholarships to students should this Federal Funding be withdrawn.
Michael A. Rivera, Director
Title V – CONECTADO
Industrial Arts Bldg. Room 213
Application Deadline for 2018-2019 Academic Year: August 3, 2018