Spanish for Second Language Learners
New Mexico Highlands offers a series of courses designed specifically for second language learners.
- Spanish 101: Beginning Spanish I
- Spanish 102: Beginning Spanish II
- Spanish 201: Intermediate Spanish I
- Spanish 202: Intermediate Spanish II
These courses employ a variety of multi-modal, multi-sensory techniques that foster the development of written and oral proficiency in Spanish. Each class offers a mixture of activities that are creatively designed to introduce, review, and practice Spanish language skills.
Through our program of study, second language students will:
- Develop the four basic language skills within a meaningful cultural context: listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Acquire the Spanish language through interactive activities that emphasize grammar, vocabulary, and conversation within both the classroom and the Language Learning Center
- Demonstrate a familiarity with the distinctive cultural aspects of the Spanish-speaking world
- Receive and communicate simple to detailed factual information in any setting
Who is a Second Language Learner?
Second language learners are students who are taking another language in addition to their native language. They may have never been exposed to the Spanish language or may have had some exposure to the language in middle school or high school.
Spanish Courses for Second Language Learners
Spanish 101 and Spanish 102: Provides the student with an introduction to the Spanish language with an emphasis on conversation and the ability to read and understand the Spanish language.
Spanish 201 and Spanish 202: Capitalizes on the Spanish linguistic elements that have been acquired in the introductory Spanish courses.Â These courses focus on an intensive review of all verb tenses and distinctive grammatical structures.Â Cultural and literary readings are used to expand vocabulary, stimulate discussion, and broaden the understanding of the Hispanic world.
Did You Know:
- You can double major in Spanish!Â We strongly encourage students to consider a double major in Spanish.Â A double major with Spanish and any other discipline will enhance your academic profile and make you a more attractive candidate for graduate study or employment.
- You will be able to communicate in a Spanish-speaking setting here in the United States as well as in countries like MÃ©xico, Spain, Costa Rica, Panama, Puerto Rico, etc.
- You will be able to use your Spanish to engage in a variety of everyday activities such as shopping, ordering at restaurants, looking for a job, dealing with public transportation, etc.
- After you learn a second language, it is easier to learn many others.
- Learning languages is useful and fun!