ALL of the following information is required to be submitted in order for the application to be complete for review and evaluation. A $50 non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants who have never attended Highlands or the School of Social Work. Applicants who have attended Highlands must submit a $35 non-refundable application fee.
Submit a check or money order with your application made payable to: NMHU-School of Social Work, Attn: Lawrence M. Montaño, Box 9000, Las Vegas, NM 87701
- Graduate Application for the School of Social Work. Download the application from www.nmhu.edu/socialwork/. Use Adobe Acrobat to fill the application. Email the application, narrative statement, and résumé as attachments to Lawrence M. Montaño, administrative assistant at email@example.com.
- Official transcript(s). One from each post-secondary institution. Please request electronic transcripts when possible and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, all transcripts must be mailed directly from the institution to the School of Social Work (a student copy showing the conferred degree may be sent until official transcripts are received).
- Reference Forms. The three (3) reference forms provided in this booklet should be mailed directly to the School of Social Work or faxed to 505.454.3290. Applicants should provide references from individuals who are familiar with their academic achievement and the social work potential of the applicant. Acceptable references are faculty members, supervisors, field practicum supervisors, individuals who can attest to your work habits, collegiate relationships, or an individual who can attest to working relationships with clients. It is necessary to submit a reference form from your field practicum supervisor for Advanced Standing applicants only. References from relatives are not accepted.
- Résumé/Employment and Volunteer Experience. Please include month and year of employment. List the paid positions you have held and provide a brief description of your duties. If you have not held a position in the human service field, list the three (3) most recent paid employment positions. A résumé is acceptable.
- Career Objective Narrative Statement. Please respond to the questions asked on the application in narrative form (use APA style). Answer each question honestly and fully. Limit your responses to six to eight typewritten, double-spaced pages. Make sure that answers are clearly numbered to correspond with each question. Responses should be approximately two pages per question. Include your name on each sheet. The written quality and content of this narrative is a critical part in reviewing the application.
- *Advanced Standing applicants Only: A Psychosocial Assessment Paper (Instructions are in the back of this booklet).
- *Advanced Standing applicants Only: An interview will be conducted with all students applying to the Bilingual/Bicultural Concentration.
- Submit application fee $50 for non-Highlands students and $35 for Highlands students.
- Follow up with Lawrence M. Montaño, administrative assistant, 505.454.3310, or email email@example.com for application status.
- Upon admission, all students are required to file a field practicum application.