Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the first step in the financial aid process. You use it to apply for federal student financial aid, such as grants, loans, and work study. In addition, most states and schools use information from the FAFSA to award non federal aid. Important Note: This is a FREE service; never pay for a service that you can obtain for free. In most instances, if you are being charged a fee, it may be a scam.
Have your information sent to New Mexico Highlands University. The School Code is 002653.
You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school, (i.e. for the 2014-2015 school year, you will need financial information from 2013).
If you are a dependent student, you may also need records of your parent's financial information.
Documents you will need to reference :
- Your Social Security Number (can be found on Social Security card)
- Your driver's license (if any)
- Your W-2 forms and other records of money earned for the year prior
- Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) federal income tax return for the year prior – IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile, foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia
- Your parent's federal income tax return for the year prior (if you are a dependent student)
- Your untaxed income records for the year prior – Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
- Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)