Your privacy is important to us. By submitting this form, you give New Mexico Highlands University your consent to contact you regarding our educational services using email, text, or telephone. Message and data rates may apply. Please note you are not required to provide this consent to receive educational services. You may always contact us at 505-454-3394 or by email at email@example.com.
Updated November 11, 2022
How we collect information
NMHU may collect personal information about you in the following ways: (1) directly from your verbal or written input (such as by consenting to receiving marketing emails or indirectly through third parties with whom we work closely (see below “Information We Receive From Other Sources”); (2) automatically through NMHU’s website technologies including tracking online, such as by Web cookies (which are small text files created by websites that are stored on your computer), by smart devices, by combining data sets, by collecting data from a browser or device for use on a different computer or device, or by using algorithms to analyze a variety of data such as records of purchases, online behavioral data, or location data; or (3) by closed-circuit television (if visiting our premises).
We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect device information using the following technologies:
– “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
– “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
– “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally, when you post information through our site, you are sending us your name, address, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “University Relations submission information.”
Information you provide
The types of information that NMHU collects directly from you or through your use of our websites and services may include the following depending on how you interact with NMHU:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, username, and telephone number
- Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses used to connect your computer to the Internet
- Educational and professional interests
- Tracking codes such as cookies
- Usernames and passwords
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you provide to NMHU (including through an NMHU website)
- Communication preferences
- Purchase and search history
- Location-aware services, the physical location of your device in order to provide you with more relevant content for your location
- Information about your personal preferences, and interests; and
- Communications with other users of NMHU’s services
If you choose to register and sign in by using a third-party account (such as your Facebook account), the authentication of your login is handled by the third party.
Information we receive from other sources
NMHU may receive information about you if you use any of the websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners and sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services; advertising networks; data and analytics providers; academic institutions; journal owners, societies and similar organizations; search information providers, and credit reference agencies) from whom NMHU may receive information about you.
As described above, we may use your personal information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising at these links:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
Google – https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
Bing – https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do not track signal from your browser.
Use of your information
Depending on how you interact with NMHU, NMHU may use your personal information in the performance of any contract or transaction we enter into with you, to comply with legal obligations, or where NMHU has a legitimate business interest. Legitimate business purposes include but are not limited to one or all of the following: providing direct marketing and assessing the effectiveness of promotions and advertising; modifying, improving or personalizing our services, products and communications; detecting fraud; investigating suspicious activity and otherwise keeping our site safe and secure; and conducting data analytics.
In addition, with your prior, explicit consent (where required), we may use your information in the following ways:
- To provide you with information about products and services that you request from us
- To contact you via phone and email with the contact information you provided; by SMS if opted in; and by Skype or Zoom if a username was provided
- To send you periodic catalogues from NMHU
- To provide you with information about other products, events and services we offer that are either (i) similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about, or (ii) entirely new products, events and services
- For internal business and research purposes to help enhance, evaluate, develop, and create NMHU websites (including usage statistics, such as “page views” on NMHU’s websites and the products therein), products, and services
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites, products, or services
- To provide, activate, and/or manage our services
- For internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, machine learning, testing, statistical, and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service; and
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time
Personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that, unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, personal information will be securely destroyed, put beyond use or erased from NMHU’s systems when it is no longer required or, where applicable, following a request from you to destroy or erase your personal information.
Disclosure and sharing of your information
NMHU will not disclose to or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third party except as follows:
- Where necessary in connection with services provided by third parties (i) who provide us with a wide range of office, administrative, information technology, website and platform hosting, editing, production, payment, business management, analytics, content management, indexing, archiving, or marketing services; and (ii) who are required to comply with applicable privacy laws
- Where you voluntarily provide information in response to an advertisement from a third party
- Where third party such as an academic institution, school, employer, business or other entity has provided you with access to a NMHU product or service through an integration or access code, information may be shared regarding your engagement with the service or product, results of assessments taken and other information you input into the product or service
- Where you participate in a program in which we partner with third parties, we may share your information with those third-party partners
- Where NMHU is required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities and government agencies, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; to comply with a subpoena or other legal process; when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, to enforce our terms of service, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others; and to investigate fraud
- Where all or substantially all of the business or assets of NMHU relating to our services are sold, assigned, or transferred to another entity
- Where NMHU’s rights to publish, market and/or distribute a specific journal or other publication are transferred to another entity, and you have subscribed to or requested to receive electronic alerts related to that journal or publication
- Where you have subscribed to journals, elected to receive electronic alerts about journals or your contribution to one of our journals has been accepted for publication, we may share your information with the journal owner or a society or organization associated with the journal; or
- Where you have attended an event, webinar, or conference, we may share your information with the sponsor of the activity; or
- Where, even if not described above, you have consented to such disclosure or NMHU has a legitimate interest in making the disclosure
NMHU also may disclose navigational and transactional information in the form of anonymous, aggregate usage statistics and demographic information that does not reveal your identity or personal information.
We will use appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect your data. Access to your personal data will be restricted to only those who need to know that information and required to perform their job function. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and security of your information.
Disclosure in chat rooms or forums
You should be aware that identifiable personal information–such as your name or e-mail address–that you voluntarily disclose and that is accessible to other users (e.g. on social media, forums, bulletin boards or in chat areas) could be collected and disclosed by others. NMHU cannot take any responsibility for such collection and disclosure.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (“ISP”), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer the site.
You have the right to make a written request to be informed whether or not we hold or process any of your personal information (by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In your written request, you may:
- Request that we provide you with details of your personal information that we process, the purpose for which it is processed, the recipients of such information, the existence of any automated decision making involving your personal information, and what transfer safeguards we have in place
- Request that we rectify any errors in your personal information
- Request that we delete your personal information if our continued processing of such information is not justified
- Request that we transfer your personal information to a third party
- Object to automated decision-making and profiling based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest (in which event the processing will cease except where there are compelling legitimate grounds, such as when the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract between us)
- Object to direct marketing from us; and
- Object to processing for purposes of scientific, historical research and statistics
Where applicable under your local laws, we will not use your personal information for marketing purposes, nor disclose your information to any third parties, unless we have your prior consent, which we will seek before collecting your personal information. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the consent forms we use when collecting your personal information. If at any point you wish to review or change your preferences you can use the “opt-out” or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us. Note that you may still receive transactional communications from NMHU.
Your California data privacy rights
Information about data we have collected or disclosed about you
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides additional data privacy rights to California residents. You have the right to request that we provide, not more than twice every 12 months, certain information about the data we have collected or disclosed about you over the past 12 months, including:
- the categories of personal information we have collected about you
- the categories of sources from which we have collected your personal information
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information
- the categories of third parties with whom we share your personal information
- the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you; and
- the categories of personal information that we have disclosed about you for a business purpose
For the purposes of your rights as a California resident, “personal information” means any non-publicly available information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked with you or your household, such as biometric information or information about your location.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you, or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
When you update your information through the site, we will maintain your alumni information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
Disclosure of personal information
For certain of our business functions, we may disclose personal information for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, the third party must agree to retain, use, or disclose the personal information solely for the business purpose. We prohibit the third party from selling the personal information that we provide [for a business purpose]. In the past 12 months, depending on how you interact with NMHU, we may have disclosed your information as set forth in the section above entitled “Disclosure and Sharing of Your information.”
Deletion of data
California residents also have the right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you (and direct our service providers to do so), except where retaining your personal information is necessary for NMHU to:
- Complete your transaction, provide a good or service you requested, or perform a contract between you and us
- Protect you or us from security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for that activity
- Fix errors in our systems
- Protect your, our, or others’ right to free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (California Penal Code Section 1546 and following)
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws
- Use your personal information internally in a way that is reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us or in another lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information; or
- Comply with a legal obligation
“Do not track” (for California and Delaware residents)
Please note that we do not respond to or honor “do not track” (a.k.a. DNT) signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers. For more information about “do not track,” go to https://allaboutdnt.com/.
How to exercise your rights
To exercise your rights under CCPA, you may submit a verifiable consumer request to us by phone at 505-454-3394 or by email at email@example.com. Only you, a person registered with the Secretary of State authorized to act on your behalf, or you on behalf of your minor child may submit a verifiable consumer request. The request must provide enough information for us to reasonably verify you are, or are the authorized representative of, the person about whom we collected personal information.
Links to third-party websites