At the New Mexico Highlands University Writing Center, we believe that writing confidence and mastery are fundamental to student success and that every student has something important to communicate. To this end, we provide students with the guidance and resources they need to strengthen their skills and to enjoy the writing process.
We are committed to serving undergraduate students in all disciplines with a holistic, student-centered approach to writing. Students may come to us for support at the beginning, in the middle, or near completion of their writing projects. Through one-to-one conferencing with our trained staff, students become better skilled in interpreting assigned reading and in developing and articulating their own ideas.
- principles and strategies for the most effective organization of their materials
- to summarize, paraphrase, and quote accurately
- to document sources correctly
- to understand and apply instructors’ comments so they can revise their papers effectively
- to recognize and correct errors of grammar and mechanics
- to edit and proofread their papers
Perhaps most importantly, they learn to develop a sense of ownership and responsibility for their writing.
In addition to tutoring, we provide a library of source materials on writing, study skills, research papers, and documentation; computers for research and word processing; and in-class workshops.