Support and Resources for Faculty
Welcome! Information provided below outlines support information and resources available to you, as you begin preparing/teaching your courses.
New Mexico Highlands University
Veronica Black: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Program Coordinator for Center for Teaching Excellence available for Drop-in Hours)
Dr. Ben Villarreal: email@example.com
(Director of Center for Teaching Excellence available for Drop-in Hours)
Megan Shudde: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Senior Instructional Design available for Drop-in Hours)
Dr. Patrick Wilson: email@example.com
(Director of Online and Extended Learning)
ITS Service Desk:
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. (Support staff will also be available for extended hours to support Saturday and evening classes and will be available for the first 30 minutes into the last class of the day.)
24/7 Brightspace Help– Phone: 1-877-325-7778- Chat is available in Brightspace, under Technical Support (located at the bottom of the Brightspace homepage)
Hours of Operation for the Online Helpdesk:
Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM until classes begin.
When classes begin our hours will be:
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Friday: 7:30- AM – 5:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 PM -10:00 PM
Brightspace is NMHU’s learning management system. It provides online access to courses and to course materials. Brightspace is used in conjunction with online, hybrid, and traditional classes. It also provides access to online sessions that use ZOOM and chat.
- Brightspace Faculty Orientation– All faculty member is automatically enrolled in Brightspace Faculty Orientation. This course is designed to give you access to Brightspace and Zoom tutorials.
- Additional Brightspace Subscription Training- Provides on-demand Brightspace training courses. Registration how to video can be found here.
- How to Roll Over Course Content– Copy course content from a previous course or Sandbox.
- Add Content- It is recommended that faculty add necessary content (Syllabus, Zoom link, instructional materials, assignments, assessments) in Brightspace prior to classes starting. Content Overview
ZOOM is the web teleconferencing tool used to hold classes simultaneously on the main campus and off-campus statewide centers.
- If your class includes an Online component, you will need a Zoom link for your students to be able to access the Zoom session. How to add a Zoom link to your Brightspace class (PDF)
- How to Record a Zoom Classroom
- How to Schedule a Meeting
- Ultimate Zoom Training: Here is the Recording
- Educating over Zoom
- What is Zoombombing? A new form of trolling in which a participant uses Zoom’s screensharing feature to interrupt and disrupt meetings and classes. How to Prevent Zoombombing
- Ultimate Zoombombing Training: Here is the Recording
Zoom for Mobile Devices
For mobile device check out the Zoom Mobile App.
Support Services: cte.nmhu.edu/about
Development Days: cte.nmhu.edu/2021-fall-professional-development-days
- Instructional Design Assistance – Consult with faculty Patricia Miera Instructional Designer firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best Practices in Teaching and Learning
- Online Faculty Presence
- Online Classroom Management
ITS Help Desk will remain available to provide support for students, faculty, and staff, while working from home. Support staff will be available by phone and email. In-person support will not be available.
ITS does not expect a reduction in services, except for in-person support. Staff will be able to assist with the following services:
- Password resets
- Account login assistance
- Account creation for new employees
- Navigation of software, including Brightspace and Zoom
- Technology training, testing, and troubleshooting
- Assistance granting VPN and Remote Desktop access for those who need it
- Software installs
- Banner support
Online Services will remain available, including:
- Self-Service Banner
- Office 365 (Email, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc)
- Banner Admin (users will need to establish a VPN connection)
- SPSS Server
*Respondus Lock Down Browser/Monitor
ITS Work Orders form: LINK
You are a Highlands employee and need a username and password.
- Click here to access the faculty/staff username application form.
- A username/password is required for Highlands employees to have access to university computers or online resources.
- Please complete the application and send it to the email address in the instructions or print out the completed application and take it to ITS.
- It takes about one working day for a username to be created.
Donnelly Library Information Desk will remain available to provide support for students, faculty, and staff while working from home. Library staff will be available by phone and email. There will be an online library information desk available. In-person support will not be available.
Donnelly Library does not expect a reduction in essential library services, with the exception of in-person support and circulation of physical library material like DVDs and print books. Staff will be able to assist with the following online services:
- Online Library Help Desk
- Electronic Databases
- Streaming Video Services
- Online Journals
- Online Newspapers
- Online Magazines
- Online Catalog (LIBROS)
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) digital articles when available o Contact email@example.com for assistance with ILL
- Electronic Reserves
- Online Tutorials
- Library Instruction Sessions upon request by Faculty o Contact April Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule
- Library Research Course – LIBR 1100 – will be taught online