Las Vegas, N.M. – The 22nd Annual New Mexico Highlands University Fiesta de la Hispanidad brings music and dance center stage to Ilfeld Auditorium April 8 at 5:45 p.m.
“Over the past 22 years, the fiesta has earned its place in the community as a beloved and valued celebration of Hispanic culture,” said Sara Harris, emcee. “I can’t say enough about how much I admire the talent and heart of the performers. And it’s gratifying to see the strong, ongoing community support for this popular event.”
Harris is a Highlands University Spanish professor emerita who has organized Fiesta de la Hispanidad every year since its inception.
The cost for Fiesta de la Hispanidad is $5, and there will be door prizes. The university’s historic Ilfeld Auditorium is at 900 University Ave. There will be a hot dog, popcorn and water special for $5 from 5 – 6 p.m.
Proceeds from the show benefit Highlands students through scholarships the university’s foundation awards from the Fiesta de La Hispanidad Scholarship Fund.
The doors open at 5 p.m. with a pre-show performance from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m. by the Memorial Middle School Mariachi Juvenil. Martín Sena is the director.
The program for the show includes:
- Star Spangled Banner: Raelenea Durán
- Ramón Preciado
- Haley Eleanor Naranjo
- Daniel Torres, Karliz de Marco and Ashlyn Harrington (Highlands Department of Music)
- Patricio Jaramillo, Andrés and Martín Pacheco
- Los Zapateados Ballet Folklorico, Directed by Lori Bovia
- Brenda Ortega, Juan Ortega
- Raelenea Durán
- Kayla Gonzales
- El Trío Alma de Las Vegas: Corrine Gabaldón, John Gómez, Robert Romero
- Intermedio: Robertson High School Mariachi Cardenal, Director Martín Sena
- Annette Garza: Tribute to Preston Garza
- Fuerzza – James Garza, John Fernández, Justin Garza, Mario Baca, Daniel Trujillo
- Los señores Charlie Tuna, Toby Sena
- Demanding the Fact – Jonathan Roybal, Anthony Urioste, Elijah Thomas
- Grand Finale: Deseo – John and Rose Montoya, son Reyes, James Garza, Jerrold Roybal
Tickets are available at the door and also in advance from Donna Martínez, Ilfeld Auditorium manager, by calling 505-454-3238.