Click for Highlands coronavirus updates

Click for Highlands coronavirus updates

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

What We Do

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is here to assist students in finding ways to fund their college education through scholarships, work-study, student loans, and grants.

Services We Offer

Assistance with FAFSA completion

Advisement in the financial aid process

Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals

Student loan processing

Processing of consortium agreements

Processing of internal and external scholarships

Awarding of federal and state work study

Contact Information

We are located in the Felix Martinez Building, Room 240. You may contact us via telephone at 505-454-3318 or 800-379-4038 or by email.

Office Hours

Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Q: Where do I apply for financial aid? 

A: You may apply for aid at the FAFSA website. You must create your Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) username and password prior to applying for aid.

Q: Where can I check the status of my financial aid? 

A: You may review your information via your self-service banner by visiting the  Highlands main web page. Click on the “my NMHU” link on the upper left-hand corner, enter a secure area, and enter your username and password. Open the Financial Aid tab to review your individual information.

Q: When can I complete my FAFSA for the new aid year? 

A:You may complete the FAFSA as early as October 1, for the upcoming aid year. Example: 2018-19 FAFSA is available Oct. 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 and 2019-20 FAFSA is available Oct. 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.

Q: Where can I apply for scholarships? 

A: Please visit the Award Springs web page. Log in with your full NMHU student email address and provide your password if you are a currently enrolled student.  If you are a new student, not currently enrolled, please visit the Highlands Scholarships page, sign in and create login credentials.

Q: How do I apply for student loans? 

A: You must have a completed FAFSA file, be enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours in your program of study, and submit a Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request form to request funds. You must also complete a Direct Loan Entrance Counseling session. Once the loan is certified by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, you will be required to sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Q: When should I expect my financial aid reimbursement? 

A: Starting the THIRD Friday after classes have begun (census date), checks for remaining funds, if applicable, will be issued to you in the Cashier’s Office. Financial Aid is first used to pay your school expenses, including tuition, fees, room and board. Please be sure to take your NMHU I.D. with you. You are also encouraged to sign up for direct deposit. Please send an email to for more information regarding direct deposit.

Q: What do I do if I feel my issue has not been resolved? 

A: If you feel as though there is an issue that has not been resolved after exhausting all means within the University protocol; the next step is to file a complaint with the New Mexico Higher Education Department.