Las Vegas, N.M. – The New Mexico Performing Arts Society presents a free concert of the Austrian composer Franz Schubert’s music at Highlands University March 23 at 5:30 p.m.
The concert features Schubert’s song cycle, A Winter’s Journey, Schubertiade Die Wintereise. It is in the Kennedy Alumni Hall, 905 University Ave.
Schubert is considered to be one of the greatest composers of the late classical and early romantic eras.
The musicians featured in the concert are Tim Willson, baritone vocalist, and Franz Vote, pianist.
The musical selections for the concert include:
- Gute Nacht (Good Night)
- Die Wetterfahne (The Weathervane)
- Gefror’ne Tränen (Frozen Tears)
- Erstarrung (Numbness)
- Der Lindenbaum (The Linden Tree)
- Wasserflut (Flood)
- Auf dem Flusse (On the River)
- Rückblick (Looking Back)
- Irrlicht (Ignis fatuus, Will o’ the Wisp)
- Rast (Rest)
- Frühlingstraum (Dream of Springtime)
- Einsamkeit (Loneliness)
- Die Post (The Mail)
- Der greise Kopf (An Old Man’s Head)
- Die Krähe (The Crow)
- Letzte Hoffnung (Last Hope)
- Im Dorfe (In the Village)
- Der stürmische Morgen (Stormy Morning)
- Täuschung (Illusion)
- Der Wegweiser (Sign Post)
- Das Wirtshaus (The Inn)
- Mut! (Courage)
- Die Nebensonnen (Phantom Suns)
- Der Leiermann (The Organ Grinder)
The Santa Fe based New Mexico Performing Arts Society’s mission is to promote the work of New Mexico-based professional musicians, dancers, actors and fine artists. The NMPAS is in its sixth season.
While admission is free for the Franz Schubert concert, donations are gratefully accepted.