Commencement 2023 Information

Commencement 2023 Information

NMHU Dual Credit


2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog Policy for Dual Credit

The NMHU Dual Credit Program is designed to give high-school students an opportunity to enroll at NMHU prior to high-school graduation. A student must be either a junior or senior in high school and enrolled in one-half or more of the minimum course requirements approved by the following:

  • Public Education Department in a New Mexico public school district;
  • Locally chartered and state-chartered charter school;
  • State-supported school;
  • Be in physical attendance at a bureau of Indian education-funded high school at least three documented contact hours per day.

Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment is designed to provide high-school juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn college credit while still enrolled in high school by taking University courses. Admission to Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment is in Non-Degree status and is not considered “Early Admission” to the University. Students desiring to continue in degree status after high-school graduation must apply for admission and fulfill freshman admission requirements.

Required Forms

Admission Requirements

The minimum requirements for admission to the NMHU Dual Credit Program are listed below. Individual high schools may require additional qualifications before qualifying a student. Meeting the criteria listed below does not guarantee admission. In all cases, the final admission determination will be made by the NMHU Office of Student Recruitment and Undergraduate Admissions.

  1. High school junior or senior enrolled at least half-time at their high school.
  2. A complete application for NMHU admission, official high-school transcripts, and ACT or SAT scores
  • If student does not have ACT/SAT scores, Accuplacer testing is required prior to registration.
  1. Minimum grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
  2. Obtain approval from high school of attendance. 5. Obtain approval from parent or guardian.

Once admitted, to complete the registration process, the following requirements must be met:

  1. Receive verification of admission to NMHU as a dual credit student;
  2. Submit a Dual Credit Request form approved by legal guardian and school district;
  3. Complete Accuplacer placement exam if ACT/SAT scores are unavailable;
  4. Meet with Academic Adviser to review classes and complete enrollment process.

Considerations prior to enrolling in courses:

  1. Dual Credit students are obligated to abide by all policies that govern student behavior and academic conduct as referenced in the NMHU Student Handbook.
  2. Enrolling in college courses is a commitment of your time and energy. Please consider whether enrolling in dual credit courses is a realistic option based on your extracurricular activities and family schedules.
  3. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the NMHU campus. Students parking on campus may be required to purchase an NMHU parking permit.
  4. The NMHU academic calendar starts and ends at different dates than most high-school calendars. Students are expected to follow the NMHU academic calendar.
  5. Grades earned through dual credit will be a permanent part of your academic record, at both high school and college. Grades earned will affect your NMHU Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and may affect your future financial aid eligibility.
  6. Some courses may have specific course-related fees that are not covered by the Dual Credit Program or the high school. These fees will be the student’s responsibility.
  7. Students can enroll in up to 2 courses per semester. Courses available through dual credit may vary based on the Master Agreements with each school district. Dual Credit is limited to six semesters.
  8. The student must meet course-specific pre-requisites and have approval of the high school prior to participation.
  9. The high school is responsible for providing textbooks. NMHU holds no responsibility for providing textbooks.
  10. Dual Credit students do not pay certain student fees and are therefore ineligible for participation in related programming.

For additional information regarding the NMHU Dual Credit Program, contact Academic Support at 505454-3188 or email

Dual Credit Student FAQ

What is dual credit?
The New Mexico dual credit Program allows Bureau of Indian Education (BIE), home school, private and public* high school students to earn core and elective credit for high school and simultaneously, earn credit for college upon successful completion of dual credit college courses.

What is a dual credit course?
Dual credit courses are college courses taken for both high school and college credit by students who have not yet completed their HS Diploma or GED. The courses need to be approved by both the high school and the college where you want to take courses, so check with your high school counselor or administrator first.

Courses must be able to apply toward a postsecondary degree or certificate program. Remedial and developmental courses at the college may not be taken for dual credit, since they do not count toward a degree or certificate program.

Can I take a PE class for dual credit?
No. PE activity classes are specifically not eligible for dual credit. However, there may be classes taught by the college or university that are in the Physical Education department that are not considered activity classes like Nutrition or Sports Management. Always check with your high school counselor to see if any non-activity PE classes you are interested in are restricted, but remember classes like Yoga, Basketball, and Weight Lifting are not allowed for dual credit.

Can I take a class like Bird Watching?
Probably not. Only college courses that would apply towards a postsecondary degree or certificate and count  towards your high school diploma can be taken for dual credit. Always check with your high school counselor or administrator to be sure.

How is dual credit different from concurrent enrollment?
There are a few differences. BIE-funded, homeschool, private and public school* dual credit students do not pay tuition at the postsecondary public college or university. Dual credit courses also guarantee both high school and college credit upon successful completion. Concurrent enrollment, by contrast, may result in a student earning college credit while in high school, but does not result in a student earning high school credits. In some cases, your high school might give you high school credit for concurrent enrollment college classes that you pay for on your own, but do not assume they will. Check with your high school counselor or administrator.

What does it cost me to participate in the New Mexico dual credit program?
Nothing to very little. Public colleges, universities, and some tribal colleges have agreed to waive tuition and general fees. Your high school will provide textbooks and most course supplies. You and your family will be responsible for special course fees and possibly, transportation (students may ride on secondary school buses if the dual credit course takes place during regular school hours and the high school is able to provide the transportation). You can get more specific cost information from your high school counselor or administrator.

How do I find out what courses are offered at my high school or local college?
Ask your high school counselor or administrator. Almost all high schools have at least one dual credit Master Agreement with a public college, university, or tribal college. Approved course lists are included in the Master Agreement between your school district and one or more postsecondary institutions. The course list is referred to as the “Appendix” and many are available on the dual credit website. Visit the PED-dual credit website at: In some cases, you may be able to take the course online.

Why should I consider taking dual credit courses?
There are several reasons. First, you gain exposure to the experience of college while still in high school to help you get a head start determining what you want out of college. Another good reason is you can get some college credits without spending any money or using any financial aid. Lastly, you may feel your high school courses are not sufficiently challenging; the New Mexico dual credit Program can allow you to try more difficult coursework.

How do I know if I am eligible to take dual credit courses?
All students who have not yet received their High School Diploma or GED are eligible. You must be enrolled at your high school in one-half or more of the minimum course requirements approved by the New Mexico Public Education Department or if enrolled in a BIE-funded high school you must be receiving at least three documented contact hours per day. You also have to meet the eligibility requirements for New Mexico dual credit Program participation established by your high school and the postsecondary institution. Check with your high school counselor or administrator for more information.

What do I have to do to enroll in dual credit courses?
Work with your high school counselor or administrator to complete and sign a dual credit Request Form and have the college or university dual credit Coordinator and (if you are under 18) your parent approve it.

How do I know if I am ready to take dual credit courses?
Talk to your high school counselor or teacher so he/she can help you determine if you will benefit from taking dual credit courses. Use your Next Step Plan (NSP) or Individualized Education Plan (IEP) as a road map to help guide you on whether you choose dual credit courses as an option. Students must take at least one honors, or Advanced Placement, or dual credit, or distance learning course to graduate from high school. Work with your counselor to determine if dual credit coursework is a good option for you and to determine that you meet both your high school and the postsecondary school dual credit eligibility requirements.