David M. Sammeth, Ph.D.
Professor of Physical Chemistry
Office: HSCI 232
1992-1993 Postdoctoral Fellow, George Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
1986-1992 PhD, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. with Patrik Callis
Thesis – Polarized Two-Photon Fluorescence Excitation Studies of Jet-Cooled Indoles.
1981-1985 B.S Chemistry, minors: mathematics and literature
University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
Chemistry for Non-Majors
Senior Chemistry Applications
Thermal luminescence and optically stimulated luminescence (TL/OSL) dating of archaeological and geological events ranging from years to several hundred thousand years. In particular, the understanding of the characteristics of electron traps created within quartz and feldspar.
- Lail, Warren, Sammeth, David, Mahan, Shannon and Jason Nevins. A Non-Destructive Method for Dating Native Human Remains. Advances in Archaeological Practice: A Journal of the Society for American Archaeology. (2013) 1(2), 91–104.B
- Victor Khrustaleva, Shravana Nayanib, Evgeniya S. Leonovab, Lada N. Puntusc, David M. Sammeth, Irina L. Odinetsa, and Tatiana V. Timofeeva. Structure-property relationships for N-phosphoryl substituted E,E-3,5-bis(arylidene)piperid-4-ones. J. Molec. Struct (2013) 1043 68-74
- W. Short, T.L.Kinnibrugh, D.M. Sammeth, and T.V. Timofeeva. Spectroscopic, cyto-, and photo-toxicity studies of substituted piperidones: potential sensitizers for two-photon photodynamic therapy. Proc. of SPIE (2009) Vol. 7164, 716411-9
- B. Masthay, D.M. Sammeth, M.C. Helvenston, C.B. Buckman, W. Li, M.J. Cde Baca, and J.T. Kofron. The Laser-Induced Blue State of Bacteriorhodopsin: Mechanistic and Color Regulatory Roles of Protein-Protein Interactions, Protein-Lipid Interactions, Metal Ions, and pH.J.Am. Chem. Soc. (2002) 124 3418-3430
- R. Fletcher, M. Rekow, D. Rogge, and D.M. Sammeth. Vaporization of Nonvolatile and Matrix Isolated Molecules Using a Novel Laser Vaporization Technique. Applied Spect. (1996) 50 19 (awarded the 1997 Meggars award for outstanding paper, Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Berger, Y. Wang, D.M. Sammeth, I. Itzkan, K. Kneipp and M.S. Feld. Aqueous Dissolved Gas Measurements Using Near-Infrared Raman Spectroscopy. Applied Spect. (1995) 49 1164-1169.
- M. Sammeth, L.H. Spangler, S. Siewart, and P.R. Callis. 1La Transitions of Jet-Cooled 3-methylindole. Chem. Phys. Lett. (1992) 193 532-538.
- M. Sammeth, P.R. Callis, S.S. Siewart, and L.H. Spangler. Methyl Rotor Effects in 3- and 5-Methyl Indole. J. Phys. Chem. (1992) 96 5771-5778.
- M. Sammeth, S. Yan, L.H. Spangler, and P.R. Callis. Two-Photon Fluorescence Excitation Spectra of Indole in Vapor and Jet: 1La States. J. Phys. Chem. (1990) 94 7340-7342.
2015-2017: TL/OSL Dating: Lattice Structure, Dating Accuracy, and Temporal Minima in Synthetic and Natural Models
Army Research Office, Basic and Applied Scientific Research. $369,893