There are currently no weather alerts.
NMHU INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Facilities General Maintenance will notify the Facilities Director if there is four or more inches of snow measured on main campus as of 5:00 a.m. If conditions warrant, the Facilities Director will notify the President who will decide no later than 6:00 a.m. whether a delay or closure is needed. The Facilities Director will then notify the Director of University Relations of any delays or cancellations, and the Director of University Relations will implement procedures for notification. The Facilities Director will also inform Facilities staff of the decision and plans for snow removal.
TWO HOUR DELAY CRITERIA:
1. Less than four inches of snow on campus but heavy snow continuing to fall with radar indicating that it will continue.
2. Extreme wind and temperature conditions as of 5:00 a.m. and predicted throughout the day.
3. Heavy snow and/or other conditions on campus the night before with National Weather Service forecasting the same for the following day.
SCHOOL CANCELLATIONS AND EARLY DISMISSAL CRITERIA:
1. The conditions that led to a 2-hour delay seem likely to continue throughout the day.
2. Four or more inches of snow on campus as of 5:00 a.m. with heavy snow continuing to fall and radar indicating it will continue.
3. Extreme wind and temperature conditions combined with significant snowfall.
4. National Weather Service blizzard warning for the Las Vegas area.
5. Heavy snow and/or other conditions on campus the night before with National Weather Service forecasts predicting the same for the following day.
WEATHER DELAY AND CANCELLATION ANNOUNCEMENTS:
1. The university’s website www.nmhu.edu.
2. The university’s weather hotline: 505-426-2297 (866-231-2366 outside of Las Vegas).
3. The university’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/HighlandsUniversity.
4. The university’s twitter account: twitter.com/NMHighlands.
5. KOB, KOAT, and KRQE news stations (NMHU-Las Vegas, NMHU-Rio Rancho).
6. Local radio stations, if applicable.
7. For main campus, a text alert will be sent to registered cell phones.
In general, it is the policy of New Mexico Highlands University to remain open during regularly scheduled hours. However, if any students, faculty, or staff believe that weather conditions prevent their traveling safely to the university, they may choose to remain at home. In such cases, students who miss class will be responsible for making up any work missed, and faculty should be reasonable in dealing with individual student situations.
If a two-hour delay is announced for the main campus, courses originating from the main campus starting prior to 9:30 a.m. are cancelled. Courses normally starting at 9:30 a.m. will begin at 10:00 a.m. Courses beginning at 10:00 a.m. or later will begin on a normal schedule. Online courses will take place at the discretion of the course’s professor.
- Delays and Center closures at NMHU-Rio Rancho will be made by the center Director in consultation with the President or Provost.
- Courses and offices at NMHU-Santa Fe will correspond with Santa Fe Community College delays and closures.
- Courses and offices at NMHU-Farmington will correspond with San Juan College delays and closures.
- School of Social Work Albuquerque courses and offices will correspond with CNM Main Campus delays and closures.
In the event of a delay or closure at a Center, Center Directors should contact the Director of University Relations to coordinate appropriate announcements. The University Relations Office will update the main campus’s Facebook page accordingly.
Employees should consult with their supervisor and arrange for taking annual leave.
In concert with all campus, non-exempt personnel who work six hours on delay days, Facilities non-exempt personnel will work six hours on delay days and shall leave work two hours early at the end of their shift(s).