Information for undocumented students and applicants at NMHU

Can undocumented students receive financial aid?
Yes, undocumented students qualify for state and institutional financial aid. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the financial aid office.

What is Senate Bill 582?
New Mexico State Bill 582 (SB 582), passed by the legislature in 2005, states that “A public post-secondary education institution shall not deny admission to a student on account of the student’s immigration status.” SB 582 also allows NMHU to administer State financial aid to undocumented students. Additionally, SB 582 grants in-state tuition rates for students “who have attended a secondary educational institution in New Mexico for at least one year and who have either graduated from a New Mexico High School or received a general educational development certificate in New Mexico.”

What financial aid are undocumented students eligible for?

  1. State and institutional aid
    Undocumented students attending NMHU may be eligible for the Legislative Lottery Scholarship. More information regarding scholarship is available on our NMHU scholarships web page.
  2. Outside aid
    2a: The HSF Scholarship is designed to assist students of Hispanic heritage obtain a university degree.
    2b: The Dream organization offers scholarships for students who are “Deferred Action,” also known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students or “Dreamers.”