Alternative Certificate Graduate Requirements
Graduate course catalog: Alternative Certificate Program
Graduate students are assigned to a faculty adviser within their area of study. The faculty adviser will help the student complete a program of study to satisfy the specific course requirements within their area, outlined in the graduate catalog. The courses listed must satisfy the course requirements prescribed in the catalog of record. The academic adviser will provide guidance in completing your program of study.
Alternative Teacher Certification Program Structure
One-year fast track
100% online asynchronous courses
Graduate-level courses can be applied towards a master’s degree
Candidates are supported by an on-site mentor
Strong collaboration with P-12 school and district partners
Online seminars facilitate peer-to-peer interaction, reflective practice, and support in the development of competency-based portfolio
- Elementary Education – 21 credit hours
- Secondary Education – 18 credit hours
- Special Education – 21 credit hours
Teach on an internship license while you complete the program or be placed in a classroom as a student teacher.
Graduate level courses are offered online asynchronously.
Criteria for admission
GPA of 2.75 minimum, 3.0 preferred
Bachelor’s degree with 30 semester hours in subject area that appertains and corresponds to the licensure area sought; or
Master’s degree with 12 graduate credit hours in the subject area that appertains and corresponds to the licensure area sought; or
Doctorate in a field that appertains and corresponds to the licensure area sought.
If you are interested in pursuing the program, here are some things you can do in preparation
- Take and pass the NES Essential Academic Skills Subtests I, II, Ill (Test code NT 001, NT 002, NT 003)
- Federal Background Check – follow the instructions. The background check must be “for licensure.”
- Look for potential schools for employment opportunities to secure a teaching position. You will also need to apply for an alternative teaching license.
- For more information, contact
Ms. Lexi Miles
Interim Director for Alternative Teacher Education
1700 Grande Blvd.
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
Ms. Ronnette Ortiz