Thank you for your interest in the
NMHU School of Education Alternative Certification Programs
Applications for the Fall Cohort are now being accepted.
Applications are still being accepted. Summer boot camp to be held July 29- August 1.
You are required to apply to graduate school.
Background check results and NES Scores should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- One year intensive programs
- Elementary Education – 21 credit hours
- Secondary Education – 18 credit hours
- Special Education – 21 credit hours
- Teach on an internship license while you complete the program or be placed in a classroom as a student teacher
- Graduate level courses – offered online asynchronously
- Program Frameworks and Course Descriptions
Minimum Criteria for Admission
- GPA of 2.75 minimum;
- One of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with 30 credits in license subject area; or
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with 12 graduate credits in license subject area; or
- Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the license subject area.
- Pass all NES Essential Skills Subtests I, II, III
- Pass NES Content Area Exam(s)
- Pass Fingerprint Background Check for licensure with NMPED
- Complete an application for admission (coming in January 2019)
If you are interested in pursuing the program, here are some things you can do in preparation:
- Take and pass the NES Essential Academic Skills Subtests I, II, III http://www.nmta.nesinc.com/Home.aspx (Test code NT 001, NT 002, NT 003)
- Take and pass NES Content Area Exams
- For elementary program: Elementary Education Subtests I and II
- For secondary program: Content Knowledge Assessment for the first endorsement
- For Special Education program: content exam is not required for admission
- Fingerprint Background Check – follow the instructions here, the background check must be “for licensure”
- Look for potential schools for employment opportunities to secure a teaching position. You will also need to apply for an alternative teaching license to obtain a teaching position. Link to application:
For more information, contact: