Commencement '23 Information -- CLICK HERE --

Commencement '23 Information -- CLICK HERE --

NMHU School of Education Alternative Teacher Certification Program

 Undergraduate Programs| Graduate ProgramsApply | Accreditation | Forms | Catalog | Contact Us

Thank you for your interest in the NMHU School of Education Alternative Certification Programs

Applications for the Fall Cohort are now being accepted.

You are required to apply to graduate school. The application is here.

Background check results and NES Scores should be sent to

Program Structure

  • One year intensive programs
    • Elementary Education – 21 credit hours
    • Secondary Education – 18 credit hours
    • Special Education – 21 credit hours
  • Teach on an internship license while you complete the program or be placed in a classroom as a student teacher
  • Graduate level courses – offered online asynchronously
  • Program Frameworks and Course Descriptions

Minimum Criteria for Admission

  • GPA of 2.75 minimum;
  • One of the following:
    • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with 30 credits in license subject area; or
    • Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with 12 graduate credits in license subject area; or
    • Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the license subject area
  • Complete an application for admission

If you are interested in pursuing the program, here are some things you can do in preparation:

  • Take and pass the NES Essential Academic Skills Subtests I, II, III (Test code NT 001, NT 002, NT 003)
  • Take and pass NES Content Area Exams
    • For elementary program: Elementary Education Subtests I and II
    • For secondary program: Content Knowledge Assessment for the first endorsement
    • For Special Education program: content exam is not required for admission
  • Fingerprint Background Check – follow the instructions here, the background check must be “for licensure”
  • Look for potential schools for employment opportunities to secure a teaching position. You will also need to apply for an alternative teaching license to obtain a teaching position.

For more information, contact:

Ronnette Ortiz