Career Services offers assistance on researching employers, writing cover letters and resumes, preparing for tough interview questions, appropriate dress and etiquette, negotiating salaries, and the all important follow-up letters.
Résumé Writing Assistance
OptimalResume, an online resume system, is readily available to Highlands students on a 24/7 basis. Simply log in using your student email and follow the directions. Once you have a draft of your resume in this system, you may submit it to the Review Center feature for feedback and suggestions. Career peer advisers are also available to help you to learn this system.
We are available to help students learn effective interviewing techniques and practice their skills in mock interviewing. Students may also use the Interview Module on OptimalResume to video record themselves in mock interview situations.
Job Search Strategies
Career Services can help you learn effective ways in finding jobs in your chosen field. Each career field may require a different approach to finding and securing job opportunities. Use the available resources on our webpage and/or schedule an appointment with our staff to help you customize your job search.
CareerSpots Videos: Fast, informative three-minute videos are conveniently available 24/7 on the following topics:
- Networking and your Personal Brand: Career Fair Success, Importance of Networking, The Elevator Pitch
- Internships: Finding a Co-op/Internship, Making the Most of Internships
- Interview Dress: Dress for Women, Dress for Men
- Before the Interview: Researching Employers, Informational Interviews, Building a Portfolio, Job Search Ethics
- During the Interview: Phone Etiquette, The Interview, Top 10 Interview Mistakes, Online Video Interviews, Behavioral Interviewing
- After the Interview: Follow Up with Employer
- Salary and Negotiations: The Salary Question
- Social Media & Job Search: Perils of Social Networking
- Resume and Cover Letters: Make your Resume Pop, Keyword Search Matters, The Cover Letter
Workshops and Presentations
Career Services staff and employer recruiters host numerous workshops on a variety of career topics including resume writing, interviewing skills, job searching, internships and preparing for job fairs. Also clubs and organizations may request presentations on career topics customized to group audience. Complete a Presentation Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org preferably with two-week advanced notice.
Hundreds of employers recruit Highlands students annually for internships and career opportunities through a variety of our resources including: job postings, on-campus recruiting/interviewing, and job fairs. Whether you are seeking a part-time job, summer paid internship or a full-time career opportunity, please check our Job Postings section on a weekly basis. Job announcements are posted daily on this site — check early and often.
GOINGLOBAL is a career and employment database with over 16 million job openings and internship listings, updated daily, within the U.S. and around the world, including 43 major U.S. cities, 33 countries, and six cities in Canada. All listings can be searched by degree, date of posting, company, industry, location, country, and key words. The user can also set-up an alert to receive customized job announcements via email.