What We Do:
Academic Support provides academic services to empower NMHU students in reaching their educational goals in a positive and supportive environment. Our mission is to provide opportunities for undergraduate students to attain an exceptional education by fostering orientation, advisement, and support services to persist towards achieving their educational goals. Our goal is student success!
Services We Offer:
- Undergraduate Advisement
- Learning Center Computer Lab: Computers are available year-round for student use in Suite 140 of the Felix Martinez Building. Conference tables and Smartboard available for student use.
- Adaptive Needs Computer Lab: A universally accessible computer lab is located in Donnelly Library.
- Online Tutoring: Tutoring and writing help is available for all students enrolled at New Mexico Highlands University. You can access online tutoring through the E-courses portal on the NMHU homepage.
- Accessibility services: Academic Support coordinates accessibility services starting with the high school-to-college transition for incoming freshmen and continuing throughout the college experience.
- Peer Advising: Peer Advisers are here to help students tackle academic challenges and reach their full potential. They will work with you to develop an individualized study plan that works with your schedule and learning style. Students don’t have to wait until they have a problem to seek peer advising – they can take a proactive strategy by creating a strong plan from the start.
- Placement testing
- Administration of Academic Alert
- Explaining to the student the program as it relates to career goals
- Helping the student to understand graduation requirements in the student’s curriculum
- Providing a link to the college’s support services
- Assisting the student with scheduling and course adjustments (drop/add)
- Providing referrals and advice to ensure academic progress
- Ensuring the student receives faculty advisement
- Your adviser can also help you change your major, meet your general core education requirements, explain academic standards and regulations, and teach you how to use Degree Works to track your educational progress online.
Faculty and Staff:
- Academic Alert
- Test Proctoring
- Student Accessibility Services
- Advisement Training
Felix Martinez Building Room 130
To make an appointment or contact an adviser, call 505-454-3188 or email email@example.com
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (open during lunch) Walk-in appointments are welcome.
Q: How can I login to my NMHU account?
A: Access My NMHU as an NMHU student to view your academic standing and transfer credits. You will first need to log on to create a username and password. Once in the secure area, your Degree Audit is available under Student Records. This system will allow you to explore NMHU degree plan options. My NMHU setup instructions are available here.
Q: What do I need to do before Orientation?
Q: I have been admitted as an NMHU student, when can I register?
A: The early registration process for NMHU typically begins in October for the following spring semester and in April for the next fall semester. Transfer and continuing student can register through their My NMHU link.
Q: Do I have to attend orientation?
A: All first-time freshmen are required to attend New Student Orientation, and it is recommended for transfer students. Sign-up to attend an orientation program.
Q: Can I participate in workshops and online tutoring offered through Academic Support?
A: Our programs and services are available to all NMHU students. We highly recommend and encourage students to take advantage of all services to enhance their academic success.