Commencement is May 15, 2021. Congratulations, Class of '21! For details, click the banner.

Commencement is May 15, 2021. Congratulations, Class of '21! For details, click the banner.

A Message from the Dean| Admission Requirements | Concentration Program Guide | Course Sequencing | Deadlines | Dual Degree | Field Practicum | Financial Aid | How to apply | Part-time


If you will be applying for financial aid, you are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  This form is required for any financial aid, scholarships, loans, etc.  The NMHU office of Financial Aid awards financial aid according to individual need.  The deadline for submitting the FAFSA is March 1, and is available at  The NMHU code is 002653.  You may want to contact the Financial Aid Office at 1-800-379-4038 if applying after the deadline.

Colorado Students:  Colorado residents may be eligible for in-state tuition rates.  For additional information contact the Office of the Registrar at1-877-850-9064. Commuter housing is available.

Navajo Tribe Members: Registered members of the Navajo tribe who reside anywhere on the reservation are eligible for lower in-state tuition.  Each year, the BIA provides grants to assist eligible Native American students in meeting their educational costs.  The amounts of the grants vary according to the student’s financial need.  The funds are available through the student’s BIA area office or tribal scholarship office.  Check with the tribal agency to ascertain program requirements and deadlines.

Graduate Assistantships
The School has a limited number ofgraduate assistantships available.  For more information, please contact Lawrence Montano, graduate admissions coordinator at 505.454.3307 or for an application.  Details are available on the Highlands Graduate Catalog.

Transfer Applicants
Students wishing to transfer into the School of Social Work must meet the general admission requirements along with the following:


  1. Must be transferring from a CSWE accredited social work program.
  2. Courses must be completed within five years from the date of enrollment.
  3. Transfer students must complete at least the equivalent of one academic year at Highlands or one of our center sites (only courses with an earned “A” or “B” are transferrable).

The school will accept up to one year of graduate credits from another institution towards the MSW degree.  The School of Social Work does not accept transfer of course credits from non-accredited schools of social work.  For complete details, see page 31 of the Highlands Graduate Catalog.

International Students
International students must be admitted to the university’s graduate school prior to, or in conjunction with their application to the School of Social Work. All international applicants are subject to the university’s requirements, including the financial statement and the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination.  International students may attend the main campus only.