Veterans’ Services

Resources on this page

New Mexico Highlands University recognizes that our military and veteran population is a diverse group that brings to our campus vast experiences and knowledge. We recognize the importance of providing our unwavering support and advocacy to our student veterans to help foster success in their academic, personal, and career goals. NMHU Veteran Services will accomplish this mission through education, collaboration, and outreach utilizing all available resources within and outside of New Mexico Highlands University. In doing so, we will strive to be a benchmark institute and a leader in veteran support and advocacy.

Out-of-State Tuition for Veterans
Veterans and their dependents transferring from another state may qualify for in-state tuition rates per NMS 1978, 21-1-4.5, Ch 168, Sec 1 (HB 427).

Contact the Office of Registrar for more information.

Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for Veteran/Dependent

Key administrative contacts:

Office of the Registrar  505-454-3438

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships 505-454-3318 or 1-800-379-4038

Veterans’ Services – NMHU
Purpose: New Mexico Highlands University recognizes that our military and veteran population is a diverse group that brings to our campus vast experiences and knowledge. We recognize the importance of providing our unwavering support and advocacy to our student veterans to help foster success in their academic, personal, and career goals.
Veteran Services Committee Chairpersons
Mr. Buddy Rivera,, 505-566-3669
Mr. Joe Zebrowski,, 505-426-2146

Veteran Certifying Official:
Las Vegas (Main) Campus: Ms. Andrea Crespin 505-454-3424

Our Mission: The Mission of NMHU Veteran Services (VS) is to acknowledge the experiences and accomplishments of our nation’s current and former military service members and their families by supporting their interests in an atmosphere that provides commitment, respect, and academic excellence.

Our Vision: NMHU Veteran Services will provide student veterans and their families with the highest level of support and dedication, fostering personal growth and academic success through graduation and rewarding careers.


VA Certification Process:

Step One

Applying for VA Educational Benefits

    • Students applying for VA educational benefits for the first time must apply for educational benefits online through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) at
    • Students must submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA.
    • Provide a copy of 22-DD214

Step Two

To be certified for VA benefits, students must complete the following steps each semester:

    1. Enroll for upcoming semester.
    2. Submit all applicable financial aid documents.
    3. Submit request form for veteran certification. The form must include your VA file number that is issued by the VA. The form must be submitted to the Veterans Certifying Official each term.

Veterans Request for Certification Form

Enrollment certification: Once steps one and two are competed, NMHU will process the initial certification according to this schedule:

  • Fall term – beginning the first week of July
  • Spring term – beginning the first week of December
  • Summer term – beginning the first week of May

Attendance certification: Please contact or email your Veterans Certifying Official, with any changes that may occur such as:

  • Change in enrollment of credits (add or drop a course)
  • Change in program of study
  • Change in eligibility status
  • Change in contact information (name, address or phone number)
  • Withdrawing from the semester (dropping all courses)

Students receiving educational benefits should follow up with the Department of Veterans Affairs to confirm if they are required to verify monthly enrollment to the VA either by contacting the office at (877) 823-2378 or online (WAVE) and select Verify School Attendance.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), this educational institution adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Veteran Readiness & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. This educational institution will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies
  • GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Important Information:

  • Students/veterans must first apply for educational benefits online through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application). Upon review of the completed application, the VA will determine the veterans’ eligibility and, if eligible, will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Students using the VA educational benefit must submit a copy of the COE to the VA Certifying Official.

Students do not need to submit a COE each term, unless students’ eligibility (chapter, percent of eligibility or months of eligibility changes).

  • Students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid. The financial aid process begins with completing and submitting the FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) NMHU school code is #002653.
  • Each term the enrollment and tuition information for students receiving Ch 33 education benefits are reported to the VA after the certifying official receives the Veterans Request for Certification form.
  • Enrollment certifications can only be submitted for the term in which the student is or was enrolled at NMHU. NMHU cannot certify a student or report on the Enrollment Manager database if credits were taken elsewhere.
  • Any changes in enrollment such as add/drops, withdrawals or separations, unsatisfactory progress, disciplinary actions, failing grades, incomplete grades, changes to tuition and fees, etc. are required to be reported to the VA.
  • Changes in enrollment as indicated above may affect the total amount of benefits a student receives, and may result in the student being liable for an over payment and/or be responsible to return the money to the VA. The VA will not pay for repeated courses or for courses which are audited.
  • After Registration attendance certification is reported, the VA will then review and process the claim and disburse the student’s benefits accordingly.

Veterans’ Resources

Resources and help for veterans and their families who attend NMHU.
If you are a veteran and interested in attending NMHU, we can help you connect with the many services and departments found at NMHU. We appreciate your service and look forward to helping you succeed in your academic goals.

How to Get Started at NMHU as a Veteran

Learn the steps to become a NMHU student and use your Veterans benefits.

Follow these steps to become a NMHU student. If you have questions or need help, visit or contact the Customer Service Coordinator or Certifying Official in Las Vegas.


Learn about your VA educational benefits

Visit the Veterans Resource Center to learn about your VA educational benefits. You will be guided to use VONAPP to apply online. During the application process, you will need your banking information to setup your direct deposit. VA educational benefits are separate from financial aid. We encourage you to apply for financial aid to see what you are eligible for. Learn more information by using the GI Bill ® Comparison Tool to help make a decision on which benefits to apply for. Keep in mind that the benefits information that is provided is based on going to school full-time. If you are certified for less than full-time, the additional time does not go away. You can use the benefits later as long as you use them before the cutoff date. Visit the VA Benefits GI Bill® website for more information at


Apply for VA educational benefits

To apply for the first time or if you have not used your VA educational benefits within a year, complete a VA application and submit it to the Veterans Administration, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888. Use the following VA application forms from the VA:

  • 22-1990 for veterans
  • 27-5490 for dependents

You may also apply online at It may take from 8-12 weeks for the file to be processed at the VA Regional Office, so apply early.

Back to Getting Started


Apply to NMHU

Apply to NMHU. Submit an online application and be aware of your student status (such as first-time freshman, undergraduate transfer, non-degree seeking, or graduate).

Get placement scores. After you apply to NMHU, you need to submit your placement scores, which may include ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer results to Admissions. The Accuplacer test scores are good for five years. To re-take the Accuplacer test, the testing center is located in the Student Success Center at NMHU’s main campus in the Felix Martinez Building.

For any questions about your ACT, SAT, high school diploma, or other requirements for undergraduate admissions, please call 505-454-3394 or email

For any questions about requirements on graduate admissions, please call 505-454-3373 or email

Back to Getting Started


Request transcripts

Request transcripts from ALL other schools (Colleges) previously attended as well as military transcripts.  If you are under the Ch. 35 Dependents of Veterans or having benefits transferred to you from a veteran (e.g. Ch. 33 Post 9-11 transfer of entitlement or Fry Scholarship) then you are do not have to request military transcripts.

Note: The VA requires schools to obtain all transcripts to comply with the requirement to evaluate and grant credit where appropriate.  Official transcripts must be turned into records in a sealed envelope.  Once they are opened they are no longer considered official.

Back to Getting Started


Meet with academic advisement

It is strongly recommended that beginning freshman students schedule an in-person appointment for their first advisement session.  Student Success Center is located in the Felix Martinez Building Room 130 at NMHU’s Main Campus. For any questions pertaining to Academic Advisement please call 505-454-3188 or email

Note: The VA can only certify classes under your declared degree plan from your NMHU degree planner. Any classes that are recommended or are below Accuplacer test score placements will not be certified by the VA. In addition, our office is not allowed to certify developmental classes that are self-paced or taken online. All other online classes do not fall under the same rule as the developmental courses.

Back to Getting Started


Register for classes

When you’re ready, register for classes through myNMHU Portal. If you need assistance, you may contact the Office of the Registrar at 505-454-3438, Suite 120 in the Felix Martinez Building or email

Back to Getting Started


Get your classes certified

Take your FINAL schedule to the VA Certifying Office to ensure a quick certification process.  We are located on the main campus.

Note: Chapter 33 (Post 9/11): Students must bring in their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in order for classes to not get dropped for nonpayment. If the COE is not given, the student must make payment arrangements in order to hold the classes until the COE is received. You can use financial aid if you have it available, pay for everything up front, or you can setup a payment plan. All other chapters, except Ch. 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment, are required to make payment arrangements. For questions about setting up a payment plan please call the Student Help Center office (Main Campus) at 505-454-3444 or

If transferring from another school (and the student previously used benefits at that school): The student must fill out a Change of Place of Training form.  The VA Form 22-1995 is for Veterans and the VA Form 22-5495 is for Dependents.  These forms can be filled out using the VONAPP or manually. Students must register for classes that apply to ONE approved program at NMHU.

View the approved programs. Special note about future terms: By default the web page will always reflect the most current catalog.  This can cause some confusion because we post the degree planner in you folder from the year in which you started.  If you are looking for classes that apply to your degree, but the new catalog is now shown as the default you can find your archived catalog here.

Catalogs run for a year (Fall, Spring, and Summer). The year on the left is the year that the Fall term started and the year on the right is the summer that it ended. Certifying benefits at more than one school: If the student is using benefits at more than one school, a parent-school letter from the parent school is required to combine the eligible credit hours for both schools. The student would also have to fill out a  VA Form 22-1995 or a VA Form 22-5495 to let the VA know which school is the parent school.

Back to Getting Started


Military Grants and Scholarships


Air Force Aid Society General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant
Children of active duty, reserve, retired, and deceased Air Force members are eligible to apply for these grants of up to $2,000. Each year, several hundred are awarded. Read more information about the Air Force Aid Society General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant.

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Supplemental Education Grant
Coast Guard personnel, as well as eligible family members, are able to apply for these grants to help with non-tuition, educational expenses. While the $250 grants may not be used to pay for college credits, they can be used to purchase study guides and pay fees for credit-by-exam programs (such as the College Board’s CLEP program). The grants are awarded only once per academic year. Read more about the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Supplemental Education Grant.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
Administered by the federal government, the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant program is designed to aid with the education expenses of children with a parent who died serving in Iraq or Afghanistan in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Read more about the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Military Spouse Career Advancement
Military spouses who are interested in pursuing a two-year or Associates Degree, may be eligible for a MyCAA grant of as much as $4,000. Read more about the Military Spouse Career Advancement.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Grants
The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society grants are available to children of Navy or Marine Corps servicemen who died during active duty or after retirement. The grants can be as much as $2,000, and are renewable each academic year. Read more about the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Grants.


Seabee Memorial Scholarship Association
Children and grandchildren of Seabees qualify for an SMSA scholarship. Seabees are enlisted personnel with a Seabee rating; CEC Officers; or others who have served, or are serving, in a Naval Construction Force (Seabee) unit. Seabees can be active, reserve, retired, deceased or honorably discharged. The applicant must currently be a senior in high school or a high school graduate (The applicant may already be in college). Scholarships are awarded for two or four-year college degree programs only and are not granted for graduate study. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, scholastic record, citizenship and leadership. Read more about the Seabee Memorial Scholarship Association.

Vietnam Veterans Scholarship
Veterans who have been residents of New Mexico for a minimum of 10 years, served in Vietnam, and were issued the Vietnam Campaign or Service Medal may be eligible. The Vietnam Veteran Scholarship will cover the cost of tuition and required books for the courses that students enroll in.

To request an application be mailed, call the NM Service Commission at the toll free phone number 866-433-8387 in Santa Fe.


VA Education Benefits

Learn about the various military benefits for which you may be eligible.

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty-Chapter 30

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and Service Members who have at least two years of active duty.

Type of Assistance
Assistance may be used for college degree and certificate programstechnical or vocational courses, flight trainingapprenticeships or on-the-job traininghigh-tech traininglicensing and certification testsentrepreneurship training, certain entrance examinations, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Benefits are generally payable for 10 years following your release from honorable active service. Additional information is available at Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) | Veterans Affairs (

Available Benefits and Eligibility
Eligible Service Members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. View current payment rates.

$600 Buy-Up Program
Some Service Members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill® to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5,400 in additional GI Bill® benefits. The additional contribution must be made while on active duty. View increased monthly rates and contact your personnel or payroll office.

You may be eligible if you have an honorable discharge; AND you have a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit; AND you meet the requirements of one of the categories here.

Apply now by going to the and completing a VA Form 22-1990. Back to Education Benefits


Veteran Readiness and Employment Benefits-Chapter 31

The Veteran Readiness and Employment program is a program designed to assist veterans with service connected disabilities; to overcome employment handicaps, and to maintain suitable employment.

You may be eligible for Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits if

  • You served on or after September 16, 1940;
  • You have been rated with a 10% service-connected disability;
  • You need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap;

Educational Benefits for Training
Once you have been approved by the VA as eligible for Veterans Readiness and Employment benefits, please contact the NMHU Certifying Official at the main campus. VA will pay for tuition and fees, required books, and expendable supplies each term while approved for training. VA will also provide a monthly subsistence to help with living expenses.

How to apply for Veteran Readiness and Employment
You can apply by filling out VA Form 28-1900, and mail it to: Department of Veterans Affairs Division of Vocational Rehabilitation 500 Gold Ave SE Albuquerque, NM  87102 You can also apply online at For more information please call the VA Toll-Free at (800) 827-1000. Back to Education Benefits


Post-9/11 GI Bill® Chapter 33

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. The program has a few specific components, outlined below.

Types of training
The following assistance is approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®:

Benefits and eligibility
For approved programs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Institutions of higher learning participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program may make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement. The following payments may also be available:

  • Monthly housing allowance
  • Annual books and supplies stipend
  • One-time rural benefit payment

See the current payment rates for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Some Service Members may also transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to their dependents.

Other factors to consider

  • Full tuition and fees [based on the student’s eligibility] are paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students.
  • For those attending private or foreign schools, tuition and fees are capped at the national maximum rate. Learn more here.
  • If you’re attending a private or a public institution of higher learning (either private or public) as a nonresident, out-of-state student you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program and entitled to additional education-related costs not covered by VA. Not everyone is eligible for this assistance.

Apply now by going to How To Apply For The GI Bill And Related Benefits | Veterans Affairs ( and completing a VA Form 22-1990. Back to Education Benefits


Survivors and Dependent Assistance-Chapter 35

The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Type of Assistance
Benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Those eligible for DEA benefits may also be eligible for this additional assistance:

  • Special Restorative Training VA may prescribe special restorative training where needed to overcome or lessen the effects of a physical or mental disability for the purpose of enabling an eligible person to pursue a program of education, special vocational program, or other appropriate goal. Medical care and treatment or psychiatric treatments are not included.
  • Special Vocational Training VA may also approve these benefits for an eligible person who is not in need of special restorative training, but who requires such a program because of a mental or physical disability.
  • Section 301 of Public Law 109-461 adds a new category to the definition of eligible person for DEA benefits. The new category covers the spouse or child of a person who VA determined has a service-connected permanent and total disability; and is at the time of VAs determination is a member of the armed forces who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care, services, or treatment; and is likely to be discharged or released from service for this service-connected disability. Persons eligible under this new provision may be eligible for DEA benefits effective Dec. 23, 2006, the effective date of the law.

Available benefits and eligibility
You may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. View current payment rates.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces.
  • A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A Service Member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A Service Member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A Service Member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

Other factors to consider
If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the armed forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions. If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the Veteran. If VA rated the Veteran permanently and totally disabled with an effective date of three years from discharge, a spouse will remain eligible for 20 years from the effective date of the rating. This change is effective Oct. 10, 2008, and no benefits may be paid for any training taken prior to that date. For surviving spouses of Service Members who died on active duty, benefits end 20 years from the date of death.

To apply, take these steps depending on your situation:

  • Make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. VA can inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Back to Education Benefits


Montgomery GI Selected Reserve-Chapter 1606

The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Types of training
Assistance may be used for college degree and certificate programsco-op trainingtechnical or vocational courses, flight trainingapprenticeships or on-the-job traininghigh-tech traininglicensing and certification testsentrepreneurship training, certain entrance examinations, and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Available benefits and eligibility
You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. View current payment rates.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after Sept. 30, 1990.
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
  • Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB-SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

Other factors to consider
Your eligibility for the program normally ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve. An exception exists if you are mobilized or recalled to active duty from your reserve status in which case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months, your eligibility period is extended for 16 months12 months of active duty PLUS four months. Even if you leave the Reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility under the MGIB-SR. If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning on Oct. 1, 2007, through Sept. 30, 2014, or you are involuntarily separated for reasons other than misconduct you will retain your original period of eligibility, which is 14 years from the date of your first six-year obligation with the Selected Reserves.

Follow these steps to become eligible and apply:

  1. Get the DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program from your unit. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the DoD personnel system so VA may verify your eligibility.
  2. Then make sure your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are unsure, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.
  3. Apply now by going to How To Apply For The GI Bill And Related Benefits | Veterans Affairs ( and completing a VA Form 22-1990.

Back to Education Benefits


VA Class Certification

Get your class schedule certified every term as soon as you register for classes

Follow these steps every term to certify your class schedule with the VA Office.

You must be enrolled in an approved program of study and register for courses that count toward your program.

Meet with an advisor
You can schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor to help you choose courses that complete the approved program of study that you declare.

Register for class
After meeting with your advisor, register for your courses on myNMHU Portal.

Get certified every term
As soon as you register for classes, submit your final class schedule with a completed VA Class Certification form to the VA Certifying Official. You have the option to submit your NMHU class schedule to your Certifying Official via email. The following form must be completed in entirety.

Graduate training time

16 weeks:
9 hrs. full time
6 hrs. ¾ time
5 hrs. ½ time
3 hrs. ¼ time

8 weeks:
5 hrs. full time
4 hrs. ¾ time
3 hrs. ½ time

6 weeks:
4 hrs. full time
3 hrs. ¾ time
2 hrs. ½ time
1 hr. ¼ time

4 weeks:
3 hrs. full time
2 hrs. ¾ time
1 hr. ½ time

Veterans’ eligibilities and responsibilities

  • The VA determines your rate of pursuit based on when your classes start and end. To remain eligible for a monthly stipend for the entire term, you should enroll in courses that are in session for the entire length of the term.
  • Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607 students are responsible for the cost of their courses and books each semester.
  • Chapter 31 students are only responsible for the cost of the courses that the VA will not be certifying as well as any books and supplies required for those courses.
  • Chapter 33 students are responsible for the cost of the courses that the VA will not be certifying and will not receive a book stipend for those courses. Also, Chapter 33 students are responsible for any percentage the VA will not be paying.
  • Students receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 must verify their enrollment with the VA on the first day of each month by either calling 1-877-823-2378 or online at
  • As of August 1, 2021, Chapter 33 students must verify enrollment status each month to continue receiving their monthly housing allowance. “Opt in” to text messaging or call 1-888-442-4551 to verify. More information is available at


Licensing and Certification Tests

Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606, 1607 (38 CFR 21.4268)

VA reimbursement
The VA can reimburse the cost of approved licensing and certification tests. Students are reimbursed the cost of the test, not to exceed the approved cost of the test or $2,000. Benefits can be paid for tests

  • that are not passed,
  • retaken if not passed,
  • required to be recertified,
  • or to renew a license.

Students must be eligible for benefits to receive test reimbursement. They must have remaining entitlement and their delimiting date must not have passed. VA students can apply for test fee reimbursement by completing and submitting an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees. Attach a copy of the test results to the application. If test results are not available, attach a copy of the license or certification and a payment receipt. Test fee reimbursement can be paid for each test for which reimbursement is claimed and the required documents are submitted. Entitlement is prorated based on the amount reimbursed. If a student’s full-time benefit is $1,000 per month and the student is reimbursed $500 for a test, then the student’s remaining entitlement will be reduced by one-half month. Search for Tests to find all approved licensing and certification tests. Complete and submit an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees, with an attached copy of the test results to the application.

Approved national tests
Chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606, 1607 VA students can be reimbursed all required (mandatory) fees charged for national admission tests and national tests for college credit. Currently the only approved tests are:

  • SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
  • AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
  • CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
  • ACT (American College Testing Program)
  • DAT (Dental Admissions Test)
  • MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
  • MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
  • OAT (Optometry Admissions Testing)
  • PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test)
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
  • ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)
  • TECEP (Thomas Edison College Examination Program)
  • PLA Prior Learning Assessment Testing through Learning Count

Complete information and directions for applying for reimbursement is available at the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Consult this list to find all approved national tests and charges.


Enrollment Changes

If you use VA benefits, keep us updated on any changes to your enrollment.
When you use Chapter 31 educational benefits, keep in touch with your case manager on a regular basis. All enrollment changes need to be approved by your case manager first. If you make any enrollment changes after submitting your final class schedule for certification, let us know by submitting an updated class schedule to your NMHU Certifying Official.

Changing Program of Study
If you change your program of study, meet with academic advisement to help you out. When you provide NMHU’s Certifying Official with your final class schedule for the upcoming term, please let us know you are changing your degree. Keep in mind, all prior credit will apply to your new degree program accordingly.

Auditing a Class or Changing Grade Options
If you change your grading option to an audit in a course the VA has certified, the NMHU Certifying Official is required to report the audit to the Muskogee VA office. The audit will be reported as a withdrawal before the beginning of the term. You will receive a letter from Debt Management if you have incurred an overpayment. You are permitted to change your grading option to Credit/No Credit, however, that grading option may not count towards the NMHU degree program or certificate you are pursuing. If you decide to change your grading option to Credit/No Credit and receive a No Credit after the course ends, the NMHU VA office is required to report the No Credit to the Muskogee VA office. You will receive a letter from Debt Management if you have incurred an overpayment.


Payment Cycle

Learn about how you receive your VA benefits and housing allowance or stipend.

VA payments cycle
The Veterans Affairs pays benefits on a post-payment cycle, which means payment is processed after the month of attendance is over. Payment is based on the number of eligible courses you have attended and when the courses begin and end. An award letter is mailed from the VA Regional Office (VARO) after your certification has been processed. Dependents (in a certificate program only), Veterans, and Reservists are responsible for verifying enrollment after the last day of each monthby calling (877) 823-2378 or by accessing so your check can be released. If your enrollment status changes, you must notify the NMHU VA Certifying Official. NMHU is not approved for pre-enrollment payment. Payments are sent directly to you. You can set up direct deposit for some types of benefits. Contact the VA for more information by calling (888) GI-BILL-1 or visit

Monthly housing allowance or stipends
If you have not received a monthly housing allowance or stipend, there could be various reasons for this. Read the list below for the most commonly reason. If you have more questions, contact our office at 505-454-3424.

  1. Did you submit your final class schedule to your local NMHU Certifying Official for the current term?
  2. Has your enrollment recently changed in any way? Creating changes to the final schedule you submitted to NMHU’s Certifying Official without informing a VA representative can freeze the certification process.
  3. Are you enrolled in any late start classes? The VA only pays the student for the courses that are currently active. Your monthly housing allowance or stipend will be pro-rated according to your rate of pursuit.
  4. Have you incurred any overpayments with the VA? The VA has the option to withhold any funds necessary to settle incurred debts on the student. Please contact Debt Management at (800) 827-0648 if you think you may have incurred an overpayment.
  5. Did you call the Enrollment Verification Hotline at (877) 823-2378 on the last day of the month to verify your current enrollment? Students using Chapters 30, 33, 1606, and 1607 must verify their attendance before the VA in Muskogee will release the student’s funds. Chapter 35 students must also call on the last day of the month if they were certified under a certificate program at NMHU.
  6. Have you supplied NMHU Registrar with your official transcripts from all previously attended institutions? (Including your military transcripts.)



Ignited Student Portal is a tailored, intuitive resource that empowers you to achieve your educational goals
The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. The courses must be offered by schools that are registered in Ignited, are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and are signatories to the current Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU).

For academic programs, certificates, associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degrees, TA may not be used for a lower or lateral degree program from the one the Soldier currently possesses. In addition to degree programs, TA is available to Soldiers to complete a high school diploma and certificate programs. TA is not authorized for programs of study beyond a master’s degree.

All eligible Soldiers will request TA through Ignited. Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling.

By law, officers who use TA incurs a service obligation. Active duty officers incur an Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) of two years, and Reserve Component officers incur a Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) of four years. The ADSO/RDSO is calculated from the date of completion of the last course for which TA was used.

Further details on the provisions of TA are found in AR 621-5 and policy documents signed by the Director, Army Continuing Education System.


Veterans Upward Bound (VUB)

If you have been out of school for a while, you may be looking for school preparatory classes. Instead of using your valuable, finite VA educational benefits (Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 33, Chapter 36, etc.) on developmental courses to prepare for college, trade school, or technical school, The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) can assist at no charge to you.

The VUB pre-college program prepares you for higher education. The program is 100% funded by the Department of Education, so there is no cost to veterans. We offer aid in applying for educational and other veterans’ benefits. We provide refresher courses in reading, writing, math, learning-style assessment, study skills, scholarship opportunities, and stipends for participation — everything you need to help you succeed once you enter higher education.

Taking advantage of the VUB program will not affect your VA educational benefits in any way.

You served. Let us serve you!

New Mexico Veterans Upward Bound
Toll free: 1-855-357-3725

YouTube Video: Introduction to Veterans Upward Bound

VUB Referral Form (optional, with no obligation to enroll)

VUB Application for Services


Other Veterans’ Resources