Office of the Registrar

COVID Mandates

New Mexico Highlands University follows the requirements of the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH), and the New Mexico Higher Education Department (HED). We also follow local requirements in all counties and cities that the main campus and all centers are in. New Mexico Highlands University also reserves the right to be more stringent if the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) through the President’s Office deems it prudent for the safety of our faculty, staff, students, administration, and the surrounding communities. For more information, please check out NMHU’s Coronavirus Information page by clicking here.

Current NMDOH requirements mandate face masks for anyone indoors in a public area anywhere in the state. More information is online at:

Ms. Sara Duran – or 505-454-3455

Registration Questions (Add/Drop/Withdrawal):
Ms. Cheryl Trujillo – or 505-454-3232
Ms. Deborah Gonzales – or 505-454-3233

Undergraduate Transfer Questions:
Ms. Andrellita Chavez – – 505-454-3454

Veteran Student Questions:
Ms. Andrea Crespin –

General Questions for Registrar: or 505-454-3438

*General questions can be related to any function of our department, grading, enrollment, add/drop/withdrawal, registration, degree posting, diploma processing etc.*

Undergraduate Degree Questions:
Michael Montoya – or 505-454-3437

Graduate Degree Questions (Graduate Partner):
Ms. Angel Benavidez – or 505-454-3410

What We Do: 

The Office of the Registrar serves the university and community at large. We support the universities mission and strategic goals to best serve our constituents. We provide leadership and guidance in all registration-relation functions to create, maintain and protect students academic records for accuracy, integrity and security under FERPA. The unit serves as a liaison between the campus community and students for academic and policy compliance. Overall, our work is committed to accurate publication of course offerings and institutional academic policies; and serves as the central unit for education and degree verification. The Office of the Registrar is the central records keeper for all academic policies and student records for the university and takes pride in this compliance work that drives our leadership and dedication to our students, faculty, staff, and community members.

Services We Offer:



Alumni: Transcript processing

Transfer Students

  • General information
  • Articulation and transfer agreements

The Office of the Registrar Staff are able to assist with the following:

  • Assisting students, staff, faculty, and administration in-person, over the phone, and through email requests
  • Processing registration to include assistance with registration – adding, dropping, and withdrawing from courses
  • Processing duplicate diplomas, degree checks, and awarding of degrees
  • Processing enrollment verifications and in-school deferment requests
  • Processing petitions, transcripts, and course substitutions
  • Updating coursework from incoming transcripts received via email
  • Processing student Change of Grade cards
  • Processing changes to the schedule of classes
  • Processing tuition waivers and in-state petitions
  • Continuation of services for VA/Veteran students
  • Checking mail daily
  • Processing enrollment reporting to the National Student Clearinghouse
  • Providing continuation of service in all aspects possible within our capability

Contact Information
Phone: 505-454-3438
Fax: 505-454-3552

Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Contact Information: 

Felix Martinez Building Room 120

For questions about transcripts, please refer to our transcripts link above, call 505-454-3455, or email

For questions about main campus registration, including deadlines, schedules, and information on permission courses, call 505-454-3438 or email

For questions about center registration including deadlines, schedules, and information on permission courses, call 505-454-3438 or email

For questions about undergraduate admissions, call 505-454-3394 or email

Staff Directory

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Q: What are the qualifications regarding the tuitions waivers?


Nonresident Tuition Waiver for Colorado Students
A reciprocity agreement between Colorado and New Mexico allows NMHU to grant a waiver of the nonresident portion of tuition charges to a limited number of students from Colorado.  Each student requesting such a waiver must complete an application each semester.  The application must be submitted no later than Census Date, the third Friday after the current semester begins and can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

Nonresident Tuition Waiver for Student Athletes
Senate Bill 81 authorizes resident tuition status for athletic scholarship recipients.  To be eligible, the student must be a recruited athlete.  He or she must also receive an athletic scholarship through the Department of Athletics and complete an athletic waiver.

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)
New Mexico Highlands University participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program, which allows students from participating states to attend NMHU at 150 percent of in-state tuition. The application for the WUE program must be submitted no later than Census Date, the third Friday after the current semester begins, to the Office of the Registrar.  For additional information, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Q: What are the procedures regarding in-state petition?
A petition for in-state tuition classification may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Petitions must be submitted prior to the first day of class to be considered. All requirements must be met by the first day of classes. A change in residency classification is never automatic and it is always the student’s responsibility to initiate the process.

Q: As an undergraduate student, what do I need to do if I have not attended Highlands in over one year?
A: Undergraduate students who have been out for 3 consecutive semesters must re-apply for admission to the university at

Q: As an undergraduate student, what do I need to do to change my major?
A: Undergraduate students wishing to change their major must meet with an academic advisor from the department where they would like to earn a degree. A Major/Minor Declaration form will need to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar to officially change major/minor.

Q: How can I get a transcript?
A: NMHU Official Transcripts can be requested online via Self-Service Banner following these steps: Go to the My NMHU Portal, then select the Self-Service Banner (Ellucian Banner) app under “My apps”; click on the “Student” tab; click on Student Records; then click on Order Official Transcripts. You can also order official transcripts by clicking the link below.

To access your unofficial transcript: Go to the My NMHU Portal à select the Self-Service Banner (Ellucian Banner) app under “My apps”;click on the “Student” tab; click on Student Records; then click on Academic transcript.  An unofficial transcript will open in a new window. You have the option to either save it to your desktop or jump drive or print the document.

For more information:

The Office of the Registrar

*All official communication will be directly through NMHU email accounts only.