Transfer Students

Transfer Students Timeline: Getting Started at Highlands

Ready to come to Highlands? Follow the steps below to make your transition to NMHU as smooth as possible!

Step one: Review the Articulation Agreement (academic roadmap) between your two-year college and NMHU for your discipline. Follow this roadmap closely, and your courses will transfer to Highlands.


Visit our Transfer Evaluation System (TES) site. This provide students with an up-to-date library of all of our established equivalencies from institutions we currently accept transfer credit from.

You may also want to review the NMHU Transfer Policy.

If we don’t have an articulation agreement for your program or your institution isn’t in the TES system, review the Transfer Policy and move to step two.

Step two: Apply to NMHU, We are an open-enrollment institution and accept applications on a rolling basis. As a part of our commitment to inclusion, we do not have an application deadline.

Step three: Request official transcripts from each college previously attended, and have them sent to or New Mexico Highlands University Office of Admissions, Box 9000 Las Vegas, NM 87701.

Step four: Fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). NMHU’s school code is 002653. For support, please contact the NMHU Financial Aid Office by email  ( or phone at 505-454-3318.

Next Steps

Once NMHU receives your online application and official transcripts, you can expect to be admitted within 1-2 weeks. Please contact if you haven’t heard from us.

Once admitted, you will receive an electronic acceptance package in your email. Please pay close attention to everything included in this package and follow the instructions closely. If you did not receive this email, contact

Activate your NMHU email account to begin receiving official correspondence from Highlands. Remember to check it often!

If you plan to live on campus either full-time or part-time, contact University Housing and fill out your housing application or request your commuter application.
Phone: 505-454-3193

To see what coursework transferred over to NMHU, access your degree audit by logging in to MYNMHU Portal at Here’s a video tutorial: Degree Audit.

Reach out to your NMHU faculty advisor for advisement on the classes you’ll take at NMHU or contact our Student Success Center or your NMHU Center for general information.

You can locate your faculty advisor’s name and email in your Degree Audit.

You can contact your academic program through the NMHU Directory in your portal. Click on “Display Directory by Department” and select your academic program.

You can also contact the Student Success Center for your general education advisement:

Farmington Center:

Rio Rancho Center:

Santa Fe Higher Education Center: Robert Anaya, Center Director

Albuquerque Center: Marian Vargas, Student Support Specialist

Scholarship Opportunities

If you have a 2.0+ cumulative college GPA, you may qualify for a merit-based scholarship! NMHU considers all admitted students for merit-based scholarships, based on your cumulative college GPA at the time of admission.

Scroll down this page for transfer scholarships: List of merit-based scholarships.

Check your NMHU email regularly for a scholarship offers.

List of Foundation scholarships

Apply for Foundation scholarships

If you have questions about your scholarship offer contact the Financial Aid Office at 505-454-3318 or by email at


Payment Plans

Visit our Business Office web page to learn more about payment plan options and how to make a payment.
Phone: 505-454-3444

Register for Classes!

Class Schedule

VIDEO: How to Register for Courses

Once your final grades post, from your transferring school, send your final official transcript to If you earned an AA or AS, verify that the degree appears on the transcript you’re sending to us.