Homecoming September 13 - September 22

Office of the Registrar

What We Do: 

The Office of the Registrar is proud to serve students, staff, faculty, and community members of the University.  In support of the University’s mission, the Office of the University Registrar provides leadership in all registration-related functions to create, maintain, and protect student academic records for accuracy, integrity and security of records under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  The Office ensures adherence to academic policy, closely monitors course offerings, reports enrollment history patterns, grades and degrees awarded.

Services We Offer: 


  • Registration process (in-person and online)
  • Publication and dissemination of semester course offerings
  • Complete academic calendar
  • Enrollment and degree verification
  • Transcript processing
  • Production of the university catalog
  • Change of major/minor
  • Final degree checks
  • Create and distribute official university diplomas
  • Commencement production
  • Academic appeals


  • Registration process (in-person and online)
  • End-of-term grading process
  • Processing of grade changes
  • Publication and dissemination of semester course offerings
  • Schedule entry and change forms
  • Complete academic calendar
  • Classroom scheduling
  • Enrollment and degree verification
  • Production of the university catalog
  • Change of major/minor
  • Commencement production
  • Academic appeals


Information for Transfer Students

Contact Information: 

Felix Martinez Building Room 120

For questions about transcripts, please refer to our transcripts link or call 505.454.3455 or 877.850.9064, ext. 3455 or email transcripts@nmhu.edu.

For questions about main campus registration, including deadlines, schedules, and information on permission courses, call 505.454.3438 or email registrar@nmhu.edu.

For questions about center registration including deadlines, schedules, and information on permission courses, call 505.454.3226 or email registrar@nmhu.edu.

For questions about undergraduate admissions, call 505.454.3394 or email admissions@nmhu.edu.

Staff Directory

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Q: What are the qualifications regarding the tuitions waivers?


Nonresident Tuition Waiver for Colorado Students

A reciprocity agreement between Colorado and New Mexico allows Highlands to grant a waiver of the nonresident portion of tuition charges to a limited number of students from Colorado.  Each student requesting such a waiver must complete an application each semester.  The application must be submitted no later than the first day of the semester and can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

Nonresident Tuition Waiver for Student Athletes

Senate Bill 81 authorizes resident tuition status for athletic scholarship recipients.  To be eligible, the student must be a recruited athlete.  He or she must also receive an athletic scholarship through the Department of Athletics and complete an athletic waiver.

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)

Highlands University participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program, which allows students from participating states to attend Highlands at 150 percent of in-state tuition. The application for the WUE program must be submitted no later than the first day of the semester to the University Registrar.  For additional information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Q: What are the procedures regarding in-state petition?

A: A petition for in-state tuition classification may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Petitions must be submitted prior to the first day of class to be considered. All requirements must be met by the first day of classes. A change in residency classification is never automatic and it is always the student’s responsibility to initiate the process.

Q: As an undergraduate student, what do I need to do if I have not attended Highlands in over one year?

A: Students who have not enrolled at Highlands in over one year and who have not attended any other institutions will need to complete a re-enrollment form.  Students who have completed 16 or more credits at another institution will need to submit a new application for admission.

Q: As an undergraduate student, what do I need to do to change my major.

A: Undergraduate students wishing to change their major must meet with an academic advisor from the department where they would like to earn a degree.  A Major/Minor Change form will need to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar to officially change major/minor.

Q: How can I get a transcript?

A: NMHU Transcripts can be requested online via Self-Service Banner.  Requests can also be made in-person by visiting the Office of the Registrar.

All official communication will be directly through NMHU email accounts only.

For more information:

Amber Scarver, Registration Specialist: 505.454.3438