Information for Transfer Students



NMHU transfer policy
Continuing your education at New Mexico Highlands University is a great investment in your future. With great programs and the lowest tuition in the western United States, a degree from Highlands puts you closer to your dreams without breaking the bank. See more about steps for transferring to Highlands today to move your education to the next level.

Transfer Student Resources

Transfer among New Mexico higher education institutions
To facilitate transfer of students and course credits among New Mexico’s colleges and universities, the state’s public institutions of higher education are required to accept transfer courses taken within approved modules of lower-division coursework and apply them toward degree requirements. Several transfer guides have been developed through collaboration of New Mexico’s public postsecondary institutions, consistent with requirements of state law (21-1B, NMSA 1978). Students enrolling for first-year or second-year study at a New Mexico institution and wishing to prepare for possible transfer into a degree program at another institution are advised to take these courses during their freshman and sophomore years. The following link provides more information regarding the NM Transfer Matrix: https://hed.state.nm.us/resources-for-schools/public_schools/nm-course-numbering-system

Degree completion
Students who are transferring with an earned associate of arts (AA) or associate of science (AS) degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education will have New Mexico Highlands University proficiency, extended core, and outstanding state core, and minor requirements waived. (Some programs may still require a minor)

An associate of applied science (AAS) degree waives University proficiency and extended core requirements but does not waive the state-mandated core or University minor requirements.

All other University requirements, including New Mexico Highlands University’s state-mandated 31-hour common core, program, residency, and the 45 upper-division credit requirements must be met before granting of the baccalaureate degree.

Transfer of Credits
New Mexico Highlands accepts academic credits for transfer from institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited or are candidates for regional accreditation. Transfer students will receive full credit for coursework completed with an appropriate grade, provided the classes are appropriate to a degree at the university. All credits are transferred in as semester hours. Transfer course grades will not be calculated as part of New Mexico Highlands University grade point average and are listed on the academic transcripts with a grade of CR. New Mexico Highlands University does not award transfer credit for remedial courses and credits awarded for work or life experience. Students transferring from an accredited institution of higher education may transfer under one of the following plans:

Course by course
The course-by-course plan is for students who do not plan to complete an associate degree. The Course Articulation Matrix compiled by the Higher Education Department and transfer guides in place with New Mexico two-year colleges serve as a guide for this purpose and apply to General Education requirements only.

In the event the Registrar’s Office cannot determine transferability of a course, you will be asked to submit syllabi or other information to assist our analysis.

Transfer student responsibility
New Mexico’s colleges and universities have collaborated to produce guides to assist students who plan to transfer before completing a program of study. Course modules are designed to help students prudently select courses so they can transfer with little or no loss of credit. However, planning for effective transfer with maximum efficiency is ultimately the student’s responsibility. Responsible transfer planning includes early and regular consultation with the intended degree-granting institution to ensure all pre-transfer coursework will meet the requirements of the desired degree.

Transferring courses to fulfill the New Mexico general education common core
In accordance with policies established by the New Mexico Higher Education Department, designated general education core courses successfully completed at any regionally accredited public institution of higher education in New Mexico are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public institution. Students who have decided on a major and/or an institution to complete their studies should consult with an academic adviser at that particular institution to determine the most appropriate course selections. Students enrolling for the first year of study at a New Mexico college or University and considering possible transfer into a certificate and/or degree program at another institution are encouraged to take the courses approved for transfer during their freshman and sophomore years of study. The core matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements at any New Mexico college or University can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department website at www.hed.state.nm.us/institutions/general-ed-core-course-transfer-curriculum.aspx. Courses in the state core matrix are listed by institution under each of the five general education areas.

Lower-division 64-hour transfer modules
Students who have selected a field of study but have not yet selected the college or University where they wish to earn their baccalaureate degree are advised to take courses during their freshman and sophomore years outlined in one of the lower-division 64-hour transfer modules. For students enrolled at any public institution in New Mexico, these courses are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico University and apply toward bachelor’s degree program requirements. Students should consult advisers at their current institutions regarding which specific classes fit these categories. Lower-division transfer modules presently exist for:

  • Business
  • Teacher Education
  • Early Childhood Education

Modules for additional areas of study are being developed.

Inter-institutional Transfer Guides and Catalogs
Students who have selected a field of study and/or the institution where they wish to graduate are advised to consult the transfer guide or catalog for that institution for current and detailed advice to guide their course selection.

Transfer guides between most New Mexico Community Colleges and New Mexico Highlands University are available through the Office of the Registrar or this web page: Articulation and Transfer Agreements

BSN Students
Student’s transferring into the Nursing program will be allowed to transfer in NMNC 1235 Assessment and Health Promotion, NMNC 2320 Professional Nursing Concepts I and NMNC 1220 Health Care Participant which will be applied toward the student’s residency requirements for the BSN degree.

Complaint Procedure for Transfer Students
All New Mexico public postsecondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or other complainants regarding the transfer of coursework from other public institutions in the state. A copy of New Mexico Highlands University’s complaint policy may be obtained from the Admission Office or from the New Mexico Higher Education Department at 2044 Galisteo St. #4, Santa Fe, NM 87505, 505-476-8400 or http://hed.state.nm.us.

Articulation Agreements
In an ongoing effort to support our transfer students, New Mexico Highlands University has established Articulation agreements and memoranda of understanding with a number of in and out-of-state universities and community colleges. The agreements list the acceptable courses that will transfer and fulfill specific program requirements.

Military Credit
New Mexico Highlands University grants credit for military education or service schools on the recommendation of the American Council on Education’s Publication Guide to Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services. A DD214, DD295, or official military transcript form is required to consider credit for military service. Veterans must request their transcripts online by registering for a Joint Services Transcript (JST) account at https://jst.doded.mil/smart/registration.do. Air Force veterans are required to provide an academic transcript from the Community College of the Air Force.

Training Credit
Credit for non-collegiate training programs is granted based on recommendation of the American Council of Education’s National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and institutional policies. Official records must be provided to New Mexico Highlands University.

Advanced Credit Programs
New Mexico Highlands University offers a number of advanced credit options to earn course credit prior to becoming a student at NMHU.

College Board Advanced Placement
Credit for College Board Advanced Placement (AP) is a program that offers year-long college-level curricula and examinations to high school students. New Mexico Highlands University recognizes student academic accomplishments gives equivalent NMHU credits based on scores achieved on AP exams. Please refer to the following link for complete details on AP exams in different content areas and the awarded NMHU credit equivalents: www.nmhu.edu/academicplacement.

CLEP Examinations
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a group of standardized tests that assess college-level knowledge in thirty-six subject areas and provide a mechanism for earning college credits without taking college courses. CLEP programs are administered through the College Board. New Mexico Highlands University recognizes student academic accomplishments gives equivalent NMHU credits based on scores achieved on CLEP exams. Please refer to the following link for complete details on CLEP exams in different content areas and the awarded NMHU credit equivalents: www.nmhu.edu/academicplacement.

ACT/SAT Test Score Placement
Submission of American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) test scores at the time of application is highly recommended, but not required for admission to New Mexico Highlands University. Students who do not submit ACT or SAT scores will be required to take the Accuplacer placement exam prior to enrollment. Students are placed in the appropriate New Mexico Highlands University English and Math courses based on ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer score. Exceptional scores on the American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) will earn advanced credit according to the following table.

ACT/SAT Topic Score Credit Hours & Course
English 29-36 / 661-800 (6) ENGL 112-Composition II ENGL1350-Elective
English 17-28 / 640-680 (3) ENGL 1110-Composition I
MATH 31-36 / 710-800 (6) Math 1215-Intermediate Algebra                                 Math Elective
MATH 29-30 / 680-800 (3) Math 1215-Intermediate Algebra



NOTE: Credits automatically apply toward elective credits for graduation. Whether they may be applied toward general education requirements or in degree programs is subject to limitations established by the appropriate disciplines.

Transfer Student Resources

What is an Official Transcript?
Official transcripts help to ensure the information listed on the transcript is accurate and has not been tampered with. Official transcripts can be mailed as hard copies or electronic copies

Hard-copy transcripts

  • are considered official when they arrive to the university in the originally sealed envelope from the transferring institution.
  • If the envelope has been opened or tampered with the transcript will not longer be considered official.

Electronic transcripts

  • are considered official when they arrive to the university directly from the transferring institution.
  • Neither the transcript of the link to the transcript can be forwarded to the university. If this occurs the transcripts are considered to be unofficial.

Admissions status

  • Transfer students are admitted into regular, probationary, conditional, or non-degree status as follows:
  • Transfer students who have completed fewer than 16 semester credit hours of postsecondary schooling will be treated the same as new freshmen in the admissions process. These students must submit their high school transcripts (or GED records), ACT (or SAT) scores, if taken, and college/university transcripts.
  • Transfer students who have completed 16 or more semester credit hours of post-secondary schooling will be admitted in regular status provided they have at least a C or 2.0 cumulative grade point average in all college or university coursework.
  • Degree-seeking probationary admission will be considered for transfer students with a cumulative grade point average below C through the individual review process as defined for probationary admission.
  • Conditional Admission will be instated when a student only provides unofficial transcripts from the transferring institutions. Official transcripts should be submitted as soon as possible in order to be considered for financial aid and scholarships.
  • Transfer students are also eligible for non-degree admission status. Under this status, students are not eligible for any type of financial aid.

Transfer of Credit Compliant Form: used by any student that is not satisfied with the transfer of credit granted by the Office of the Registrar. Before completing this form, you must contact the Office of the Registrar.

For more information regarding transfer credit refer to the NMHU Course Catalogs: https://www.nmhu.edu/highlands-university-catalogs/