The Faculty Senate is the primary way that faculty participate in university governance. It is elected in accordance with its own constitution that appears in the Faculty Handbook and approved by the Highlands Board of Regents. To carry out its responsibility, the Faculty Senate and its subcommittees meet on a regular basis. Meetings of the Faculty Senate are scheduled between 3-5 p.m, on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month, while classes are in session.
The Office of the Faculty Senate is:
Purchasing Building Room 6
The Faculty Senate at New Mexico Highlands University has the following authority, responsibility and functions:
- To initiate and review policies which affect the faculty at Highlands
- To make studies and offer recommendations and advisory opinions on any matters germane to the welfare of the faculty and students
- To create, update, distribute and permit electronic access to the NMHU Faculty Handbook.
- To elect members to certain committees
- To create ad hoc committees to study, investigate and make recommendations on matters that concern the well being of the faculty
Members of the Faculty Senate for the 2014-15 Academic Year are:
- Dr. Maureen Romine,- FS Chair – Executive Committee (Biology & Chemistry)
- Dr. Brandon Kempner, -FS Vice Chair – Executive Committee – (English & Philosophy)
- Cheryl Zebrowski, - FS Secretary – Executive Committee- (Library)
- Dr. Gloria Gadsden – Executive Committee – At Large – (Social & Behavioral Sciences) – Faculty Senate representative to the Student Affairs Committee.
- Dr. Edward A. Martinez,- Executive Committee-At Large – (Natural Resources Mgmt.)
- Kerry Loewen,- (Media Arts &Tech.) – Faculty Senate representative to the Academic Affairs Committee.
- Dr. Kathy Jenkins – (Exercise and Sport Sciences) – Faculty Senate representative to the Faculty Association.
- Dr. Charles Swim – (School of Business/Business Administration)
- Dr. Abbas Manafy – (History, Political Science and Language Culture)
- Dr. Douglas Main – (School of Education/counseling and Guidance)
- Dr. Emily Williams – (School of Education/Special Education)
- Dr. William Thompson – (School of Education/Curriculum and Instruction)
- Diane Walker - (School of Education/Teacher Education/Rio Rancho)
- Dr. Robert Karaba - (School of Education/Educational Leadership/Rio Rancho)
- Dr. Jane Gorman – (School of Social Work)
- Dr. Julius Harrington – (School of Social Work/Albuquerque)
- Dr. Susan Williams – (Nursing)
- Todd Christensen – (Visual and Performing Arts)
- To be filled – (Computer & Mathematical Sciences)
- Mary Jane Valdez – (Administrative Assistant to the Faculty Senate)